You're looking for an awesome honey garlic chicken recipe, right?
Well, you're in the right place!
In this post I'll share with you my go to recipe for honey garlic chicken – it's so easy to make and tastes soooo good!
I've been making my honey garlic chicken like this for as long as I can remember and it's always been a people pleaser. In fact, many times when I invite friends and family over for dinner they specifically request that I make this!
I'm thrilled to share this recipe with you and know you'll love it too. 🙂
Before we jump right into recipe and make this AMAZING honey garlic chicken, there’s a few tips you need to know so recipe turns out absolutely perfect every single time.
Tips for the Perfect Honey Garlic Chicken
1. Honey garlic chicken is one of those recipes that you can mix up ahead of time and marinade if you like. Although it's not absolutely necessary, marinating the chicken for a little while before you cook it can give it a more developed flavour.
2. If you'd like, you can prepare the sauce and the chicken ahead of time for an easy meal! Just place the ingredients in a zip top freezer bag and put it in the freezer.
When you're ready to make it, just take the bag out of the freezer the night before so that it will thaw. Then prepare as usual the next day. So easy!
3. One of the other great things about this recipe is that you can use any kind of chicken you like as long as it's 3 to 4 pounds worth of meat. I find that using chicken thighs or any kind with the bone in it gives it a fantastic flavour. You could also use chicken breasts if you like.
4. I highly recommend spooning the sauce over the chicken a few times while it's cooking so you get all the honey garlicky goodness on top. This will also make the tops darken like it did for the chicken in the photos.
5. Another fantastic thing about this recipe is the delicious sauce that can be made to serve on the side! The sauce is made from the drippings of the cooked chicken and thickened up on the stove using a little cornstarch. This is really similar to making gravy and indeed it is YUM!
If you'd like a thicker, stickier sauce to go with your chicken, just let it simmer for a little longer on the stove until it reaches the thickness you prefer. 🙂
- 3 lbs chicken thighs (you can use any chicken you like really, not only thighs)
- 4 – 6 cloves garlic, finely minced
- 1 small onion, grated or minced into fine pieces
- 1/4 cup soy sauce (I used the reduced sodium kind)
- 1/3 cup ketchup
- 1/3 cup + 1 Tbsp honey
- Pinch of red pepper flakes
- 1 tbsp rice wine vinegar
- 1 1/2 tbsps brown sugar
For the Sauce on the Side:
- 2 tsps cornstarch
- Drippings from the baking dish
- Pre-heat the oven to 375°F.
- In a glass 9″x10″ baking dish, whisk together all ingredients except for the chicken. Combine well.
- Place the chicken into the dish and spoon some of the mixture over top of each piece.
- Optional: You can marinade the chicken in this mixture ahead of time if you like.
- Place the baking dish in the oven uncovered and bake for 45 – 60 minutes. (Make sure to also spoon some of the sauce over the chicken a few times as it's cooking)
- Once the chicken is finished cooking, remove from the baking dish and place on a serving plate.
- Serve with rice, veggies or anything else you might enjoy it with!
How to make the Sauce on the side:
- Skim the fat off the top of the drippings as much as possible. If there's a little fat left, that's ok too. You can also remove most of the fat using a gravy separator if you have one.
- Combine about 1/4 of the drippings and the cornstarch in a small dish and set aside. Mix it together using a whisk to make sure there are no lumps.
- Pour the remaining drippings into a sauce pot and bring to a boil.
- Add the cornstarch mixture and lower the heat. Stir constantly using a whisk until the sauce reaches the desired consistency. Remove from the heat and serve with the chicken.
If you enjoyed this recipe, you'll love my Baked Honey Garlic Chicken Wings! 🙂
- Category: Main