- 3 lbs skin on chicken thighs (you can use any chicken you like really, not only thighs)
- 4 – 6 cloves garlic, finely minced
- 1 small onion, grated or minced into fine pieces
- ¼ cup soy sauce (I used the reduced sodium kind)
- ⅓ cup ketchup
- ⅓ cup + 1 tbsp honey
- Pinch of red pepper flakes
- 1 tbsp rice wine vinegar
- 1 ½ tbsps brown sugar
For the Sauce on the Side:
- 2 tsps cornstarch
- Drippings from the baking dish
- Preheat the oven to 375°F.
- In a glass 9″x10″ baking dish, whisk together all ingredients except for the chicken. Combine well.
- Place the chicken into the dish and spoon some of the mixture over top of each piece.
Optional: You can marinate the chicken in this mixture ahead of time if you like.
- Place the baking dish in the oven uncovered and bake for 45 – 60 minutes. (Make sure also to spoon some of the sauce over the chicken a few times as it cooks)
- Once the chicken is finished cooking, remove each piece from the baking dish and place them on a serving plate.
- Serve with rice, veggies or anything else you might enjoy it with!
How to make the Sauce on the side:
- Skim the fat off the top of the drippings as much as possible. If there’s a little fat left, that’s ok too. You can also remove most of the fat using a gravy separator if you have one.
- Combine about 1/4 of the drippings and the cornstarch in a small dish and set aside. Mix it together using a whisk to make sure there are no lumps.
- Pour the remaining drippings into a sauce pot and bring to a boil.
- Add the cornstarch mixture and lower the heat. Stir constantly using a whisk until the sauce reaches the desired consistency. Remove from the heat and serve with the chicken.
If you enjoyed this recipe, you’ll love my Baked Honey Garlic Chicken Wings! 🙂
You can combine the ingredients for the sauce (onion, garlic, etc.) using a food processor if you have one. Rather than grating the onion and garlic by hand, popping them in the processor with the other sauce ingredients will save time and creates a nice texture for the sauce.
Slow Cooker Instructions: To make honey garlic chicken in a slow cooker, add the chicken, then pour the sauce ingredients over the top. Cook on LOW for 6 hours. Thicken the side sauce according to the recipe instructions in a saucepot, or if your slow cooker has a simmer function, you can use that.
Instant Pot/Pressure cooker Instructions: To make honey garlic chicken in an instant pot or pressure cooker, add the chicken, then pour the sauce ingredients over the top. Set the pressure to High and cook for 30 minutes.
Once cooking has finished, allow the Instant Pot/pressure cooker to release pressure naturally for 10 minutes. Then open the pressure release knob. Remove the chicken and place it on a serving plate. Thicken the side sauce using the “saute” function on your instant pot or in a saucepot on the stove.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 60 minutes
- Category: Main
- Method: Oven
- Cuisine: Asian/Chinese