These potato wedges really remind me of some of the delicious pub food I used to devour back in my university days. These crispy little things are so addictive! I never end up having leftovers when I make this and they're not as unhealthy as the deep fried version you usually get in the typical pub.
To make these much more healthy I bake them in the oven on a cookie sheet on a wire baking rack. The baking rack prevents the wedges from sitting in and absorbing any excess oil and allows everything to get all crispy and delicious. Below is an picture of the potato wedges before they went into the oven.
I'm confident that you'll enjoy these just as much as we do!Print
- 3 lbs white potatoes, cut into wedges
- 2 ½ tbsps cornstarch
- 1 tbsp seasoning salt
- ½ tbsp Italian herb seasoning
- 1 ½ tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp smoked paprika (regular paprika is fine too)
- 1 tsp onion powder
- ¼ tsp pepper
- ¼ cup canola oil or vegetable oil
- Pre-heat the oven to 450°F.
- This step is important in order to remove excess starch to create deliciously crispy potato wedges.
Place the wedges in a strainer or large mixing bowl and rinse them well under cold water. Once they've been rinsed, allow them to drain dry for a little bit. Next, lay out some dish towels (or paper towels) on the counter top, then lay the wedges on top to help remove excess moisture. Next, pat them dry with another paper towel or dish towel.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine cornstarch, seasoning salt, Italian herbs, garlic powder, paprika, onion powder and pepper.
- Place the wedges into the bowl with the dry seasoning ingredients and toss with a spoon to evenly coat.
- Now drizzle the vegetable oil over the seasoning coated wedges. Toss the wedges in the oil until coated.
- Now place the wedges (skin side down) onto a wire baking rack placed over top of a large baking sheet. Using a wire rack helps make your potato wedges extra crisp!
- Place the wedges into the oven and bake for about 35-40 min or until golden and crispy.
How to cut Potatoes into Wedges: To cut potatoes into wedges, first wash the potatoes (leave skins on) and then slice them in half lengthwise. Next, cut each half potato into thirds or quarters, depending on how big you want the wedges to be. To ensure even cooking, try to cut the wedges about the same thickness.
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 40 minutes
- Category: Side
- Method: Bake in Oven
- Cuisine: American/Canadian