Try this easy homemade ranch dressing mix recipe. The ingredients are simple, and the result is an out-of-this world tasting dip for veggies or chips that you can enjoy anytime! With this easy recipe, you can make your own ranch dressing mix right at home. It's perfect for salads, dipping sauces, and more. Plus, making homemade seasoning mixes is a lot cheaper than getting store bought packets!
There's something about ranch dressing that Americans and Canadians seem to really enjoy. Anything ranch flavored we tend to go nuts over! lol
If you're like me and you enjoy having ranch on everything AND you like to save a few bucks wherever you can, making your own ranch dressing mix at home is a great idea!
Purchasing those little packets of ranch mix from the store can seem like such a waste of money, especially when you can make homemade ranch for much cheaper.
All the ingredients to make a homemade ranch seasoning mix can most likely already be found on your spice rack and cost mere pennies. 🙂
The main ingredient that creates that delicious zing of ranch dressing is buttermilk powder. This isn't as difficult to find as you might think and although I wasn't able to purchase it at a regular grocery store, I had no issues finding it a local bulk food store.
The buttermilk powder wasn't too expensive and the amount used to make 1 batch of the mix only cost about $1.75!
Ranch dressing mix is so simple to make, it's ridiculous!
It's pretty much foolproof, really.
All you have to do is combine all the ingredients (but reserve and set aside some of the dried parsley and the chives) in a food processor until well combined and it's a fine powdery texture. Once it's been processed I spoon everything into a mason jar and drop in the reserved parsley and chives, then shake up the jar. I like to leave some large pieces of the dried herbs in the mix since it looks so nice once it's made to serve. 🙂
I like to leave some large pieces of the dried herbs in the mix since it looks so nice once it's made to serve. 🙂
For use as a salad dressing, I mix 3 tbsps of the mix with some milk and mayonnaise (see recipe below).
When mixed with mayonnaise and sour cream (or Greek yogurt), this ranch mix can also be used to make a really tasty dip to go with veggies or chips!
I love having this dry ranch mix on hand for when I need to make a quick salad dressing or to use in some of my other recipes.
Here's a few more ideas on what you can use ranch dressing mix for:
- popcorn seasoning
- seasoning potato wedges
- flavoring for a roast
- use in a casserole
- flavoring meatloaf
I'm sure there are lots of other things that you can use ranch dressing mix for, just experiment and see what you like! 🙂
How many tablespoons in a ranch packet?
Most ranch seasoning packets (such as the popular Hidden Valley Ranch) will contain two tablespoons of dry seasoning mix; however, some may contain more or less (2, 2.5 to 3 generally). It's important to look at the exact amount specified on the packaging of your particular ranch dressing packets.
How to make ranch spicy?
Making ranch dressing spicy is simple and it adds that extra flavor dimension that can take your dish to the next level.
To make it happen, add about a teaspoon of ground red pepper flakes (or cayenne pepper) to your dry mix (you can add more than one teaspoon but it's better to tread on the side of caution when increasing). A bit of chipotle powder can be added to your ranch dressing dry mix as well. After your mix has been turned into a dip or a dressing, you can add diced up jalapeños.
What Ingredients are used to make Homemade Dry Ranch Dressing Mix?
To make your homemade dry ranch dressing mix you are going to need powdered buttermilk (dry buttermilk powder), dried parsley flakes, dried dill weed, onion powder and garlic powder. Your mix will be flavored with sea salt, black pepper, dried chives, thyme and sugar.
How to make Ranch Dressing Mix – Overview
First set aside 1 1/2 tbsps. of the parsley flakes and all of the chives. Afterwards take the rest of the ingredients (dried buttermilk, all the spices, etc.) and place into a food processor, process them until they are fine.
Remove the ingredients from the food processor and put into an airtight container. Take the parsley flakes and chives that were set aside and add them to the container. Seal the lid and shake that container so that everything is mixed.
How to Store Ranch Dressing Mix
If you’re using an airtight Mason jar or other container, simply fill the container with the ranch dressing mix and seal it tightly. The mixture will keep at room temperature for up to two months if stored properly. If you intend on keeping the mix longer than that, consider storing it in a cool dry place such as a pantry or cupboard.
Alternatively, you can portion out individual packages of ranch dressing mix and place them inside vacuum sealed bags. This option works great for meal prepping!
How to make Ranch Dip
Once you've put together your dry dressing mix, it's time to make a delicious dip out of it! All you need are a few simple ingredients and within minutes, you'll have a creamy and flavorful dip that will be the hit of any party or gathering, just as tasty as Hidden Valley Ranch dressing but at a fraction of the price.
To make your own ranch dip, combine 3 Tbsps. of the ranch dressing mix with 1 cup of mayonnaise and 1 cup of sour cream. Put in the fridge to chill for at least 30 minutes before using so the flavors develop.
Your homemade ranch dip can be served immediately or stored in an airtight container and refrigerated for up to one week. The dip will become thicker as it chills over time—so if you'd like a thinner consistency, let it sit out at room temperature for 15 minutes before serving. To take your homemade ranch dip up a notch, try adding other herbs and spices such as dill weed or celery seed to create unique flavors! Alternatively, you can also use this base recipe as a starting point for other dips such as French onion dip or spinach artichoke dip by simply adding additional ingredients.
How to Use Ranch Dressing Mix
Once your mix is ready, it's time for some fun! Here are a few ways to put your homemade ranch dressing mix to use:
- Ranch Salad Dressing: Make a delicious salad dressing by whisking together 1/3 cup of your dry ranch seasoning with 1/2 cup mayonnaise and 1/2 cup sour cream. Refrigerate until you're ready to enjoy.
- Dip: Mix 1 tablespoon of the ranch mix into 4 ounces of softened cream cheese for an easy dip that will be perfect for chips, crackers or veggies.
- Flavored Butter: Add 2 tablespoons of the mix to 8 ounces of softened butter to create a delicious topping for steamed vegetables or baked potatoes.
- Marinade: Create the perfect marinade for grilled chicken, pork or fish by combining 1/4 cup olive oil with 1 tablespoon ranch seasoning mix and 1 teaspoon lemon juice or white wine vinegar.
- Coleslaw: Make a ranch-style coleslaw perfect for summer barbecues by combining 1/2 cup mayonnaise with 2 tablespoons of your homemade dressing mix and tossing it with shredded cabbage, onion and carrots.
- Sprinkle a few tablespoons on top of macaroni and cheese before baking it in the oven for a tasty twist on this classic dish.
- Use as an all-purpose seasoning blend that is great for flavoring chicken, potatoes, pasta or popcorn.
- Sprinkle a teaspoon or two on top of baked potatoes for added flavor and crunch.
- Make your own ranch-flavored tortilla chips by sprinkling the seasoning on top of freshly cut tortillas before baking.
- Create a delicious ranch-flavored popcorn by stirring 1 tablespoon of the mix into 1/3 cup melted butter or oil and drizzling it over freshly popped popcorn.
- 3/4 cup powdered buttermilk
- 2 1/2 tbsps dried parsley flakes
- 1 1/4 tsp dill weed
- 1 1/2 tbsp onion powder
- 2 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 3/4 tsp black pepper
- 4 tsp dried chives
- 1/4 tsp thyme
- 2 tsps sugar
- Set aside 1 1/2 tbsps of the parsley flakes and all of the chives.
- Process the rest of the ingredients in a food processor until fine.
- Remove the ingredients from the food processor and put into an airtight container.
- Add the Parsley flakes and chives that were set aside and shake the container so that everything is mixed.
How to use Ranch Dressing mix:
About 3 Tbsps of the mix is equal to 1 pack of store bought
To make Ranch Salad Dressing:
Combine 3 Tbsps of ranch dressing mix with 1 cup of mayonnaise and 3/4 cup of milk. You can adjust the amount of milk depending on how thick you like your dressing. Put in the fridge to chill for at least 30 minutes before using so the flavors develop. This should keep in the fridge for about 1 week.
To make Ranch Dip:
Combine 3 Tbsps of the ranch dressing with 1 cup of mayonnaise and 1 cup of sour cream. Put in the fridge to chill for at least 30 minutes before using so the flavors develop. This should keep in the fridge for about 1 week.
- Category: Homemade Mixes