Ahhhhh, sweet and sour meatballs.
When I'm having a tough day and don't feel like cooking too much, sweet and sour meatballs is one of my go to recipes.
It's especially easy if I have some meatballs already prepared and in the freezer just waiting for me to make them saucy! 😉
I wouldn't consider this to be an authentically Asian sweet and sour sauce, but it is absolutely delicious none the less! It's an American/Canadian version of sweet and sour sauce made with some very common ingredients such as ketchup, vinegar, brown sugar and some mustard.
If you haven't tried mixing these ingredients together before, do it. You won't regret it!
As I mentioned at the beginning of this post, this makes for a great last minute meal. The honest truth is that the day that I made this to take pictures and post it here on Dishes and Dust Bunnies, I had no idea what I was going to make for supper.
I just took a peek at what I had on hand and put it together. It's great when you can do something like that in a flash. It makes me feel like a super mom or something… at least for a moment! lol
This is quite a rich dish with all it's sweetness, so I like to throw in some veggies for good measure. 😉
For this post I threw in some chopped broccoli while the meatballs were cooking in the sauce and they work wonderfully.
If you're feeling adventurous, you could try using some other veggies that you like as well.
These meatballs also make a great appetizer or dish to bring to a gathering or pot luck dinner.
See my note in the recipe below for a few pointers if you're thinking of doing this. 🙂
These sweet and sour meatballs have everyone in my house smacking their lips and asking for more, so I know you'll enjoy them as well!
- Sauce Ingredients:
- 3 cups brown sugar
- 1½ cup vinegar
- 2 tbsps mustard
- 1 cup ketchup
- Additional Ingredients:
- 2 – 3 lbs meatballs (you can use my homemade meatball recipe or use store bought)
- 2 cups chopped broccoli or other veggies you prefer
- 1 onion, halved then thinly sliced
- Optional – Prepared white rice, If serving the meatballs as a main course
- If using my homemade meatball recipe, please prepare them first. If using store bought meatballs, heat and cook according to directions.
- Whisk together the ingredients for the sauce in a measuring cup and set aside until needed.
- Using the same pan that you cooked the meatballs in, begin cooking the onions (medium heat) until they are softened. If you are using a fresh pan, make sure to add a little oil before cooking the onions.
- Once the onions have softened, add the sauce and combine.
- Turn up the heat and cook the sauce for about 10 minutes.
- Add the meatballs to the sauce and combine. Be careful not to break apart the balls.
- After 5 minutes of cooking the balls in the sauce, add the broccoli or vegetables (if you're using carrots or a harder vegetable you may need to cook them longer.)
- Turn the heat down and simmer for 10 minutes uncovered.
- The sauce should start to thicken as it simmers.
- As a main course, serve over white rice.
- As an appetizer, serve plated with toothpicks on the side. Please see my note below for more info.
If you want a HUGE amount of sauce to go with your balls, you can double the amount of sauce ingredients in the recipe. Doubling the sauce is especially great if you're using this recipe as a main course served over rice.
If you're planning on using this recipe for appetizers you can probably get away with using the amount exactly as stated in the recipe – the appetizer version won't need as much sauce since they're usually served on tooth picks and plated. It's up to you though! 🙂
- Cook Time: 25 mins
- Category: Main
I'd love to hear from you so please feel free to leave a comment in the comment section below! 🙂