This Thai mango salad recipe is light, refreshing and perfect for summer. The fresh fruit makes this a great dish to make when you want something sweet but don't want the guilt that comes with dessert. Don't just take my word for it! This healthy salad has been loved by many readers of my site so if you're looking for an side then give this one a try!
I live in Toronto, which is one of the most multi-cultural cities in the world, and it has given me so many opportunities to try the flavors and cuisines of many cultures – which I LOVE to do! 😀
After tasting Thai food for the first time a few years ago, I fell in love with the simple yet AMAZINGLY flavorful Thai Mango Salad! It's the perfect summer side dish and I know you'll love it!
Thai mango salad is composed of sliced red peppers, green onions, cilantro, peanuts and of course mango!
When making this recipe it's important that you use mangoes that have not completely ripened yet. What you want is a nice crispness and crunch to the fruit and veggies in this salad, so the mangoes should be firm and green when you purchase them.
If the mangoes are very ripe they will be a little too soft – it will still taste fine if you do use ripe mangoes, but honestly, the more firm your mangoes, the better. This dish isn't just about taste, it's about the texture.
The dressing for this salad is composed of some sweet chili sauce, Thai fish sauce, a little brown sugar, some rice vinegar and some lime juice. The combination of these flavors give the salad a nice balance of tanginess with a little sweetness, and the peanuts sprinkled on top before serving give this such a nice crunch.
When I make this as a side dish to go with Pad Thai or another similar meal, I usually double the recipe so that we have lots left over for the next day. I find that when I leave this overnight in the fridge the flavors taste even more amazing the next day!
I hope you enjoy this recipe! You can check it out below. 😀
- 3 large green mangoes, firm and not ripened, sliced into thin strips or julienned
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 green onions, sliced diagonally
- 1/4 cup roughly chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 large red pepper, thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup chopped unsalted peanuts
- 1/2 tbsp rice vinegar
- 1/8 cup sweet chili sauce (the kind also used for dipping with spring rolls)
- 1 tsp fish sauce
- Juice of 1/2 lime
- 1 tsp brown sugar
- Combine ingredients for the dressing in a small mixing cup and set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine mangoes, red pepper and cilantro.
- Pour the dressing over the salad and gently combine.
- Before serving, sprinkle chopped peanuts over top.
- Category: Salad
- Cuisine: Thai