Being from Eastern Canada, I'm pretty obsessed with seafood.
Bake it, fry it, steam it – I don't care – if it's seafood there's a good chance it'll be gone from my plate in less than 2 minutes. lol (Don't judge me! :p)
Well, If you're a seafood lover like me, you're going to LOVE these Crab Rangoon Appetizer Cups! 🙂
These Crab Rangoon cups are so easy to make and completely addictive… meaning make sure there's enough for everyone 'cause they disappear quick! 😀
Seriously though, these are so easy to make that you might even want to make a double batch!
If you're not familiar with Crab Rangoon, it's a popular American Chinese appetizer that's found quite often at buffets. In this recipe, I decided to make it simple by using some mini tortillas that I had on hand as the cups to hold the filling.
If you'd like, you can definitely use traditional Chinese wonton wrappers instead of the mini tortillas – they're delectable either way!
The filling for the appetizer is made up of a combination of cream cheese, green onions, garlic powder, some Worchestershire sauce and of course crab meat – yum yum yummy!!
The combination of ingredients makes for a nice mild but savory flavor. MMmm mm!
These are wonderful served at parties and especially during Christmas time and the Holidays – but be waned…
You may need to make a double batch because they disappear quick!! 😀
- 7 oz (200 g) Cooked crab meat (this recipes is also very good when using imitation crab)
- 8 oz (250 g) plan cream cheese, room temperature
- 2 green onions, chopped and divided
- 1/4 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp Worchestershire sauce
- 1/4 tsp Old Bay seasoning
- 1/4 cup mayonnaise (use the real stuff – not salad dressing)
- 1 cup of shredded cheese (I used a 4 cheese blend of Provolone, Mozzarella, Parmesan and Swiss)
- 12 mini round tortillas (I used President's Choice Mini Tortillas) – You can also use won ton wrappers or use a cookie cutter to cut smaller circles from larger tortillas. 🙂
- Pre-heat the oven to 425°F.
- Spray a 12 cup muffin tin with cooking spray.
- Place the mini tortillas or wonton wrappers in the muffin cups so that they form little bowls. You can fold the edges if you need to so they will fit.
- In a medium mixing bowl, combine cream cheese, garlic powder, Worchestershire sauce, Old Bay seasoning, mayonnaise, 1/2 of the green onions.
- Next, gently mix in the crab – it's nice to have some chunks of meat in the crab cups for try to be gentle – just don't over mix.
- Now, spoon the cream cheese crab mixture evenly into each cup in the muffin tin.
- On top of each crab cup, sprinkle the shredded cheese.
- Place into the oven to bake for about 18 minutes.
- When they finish baking, they should have slightly golden tops and the cheese should be a little bubbly.
- Sprinkle the remaining green onions on top of each crab cup, then allow to rest for 5 minutes before serving.
- Serve warm as an appetizer.