Zucchini is almost out of season so that means you'll most likely find lots of them on sale at your local market or grocery store.
Zucchini can be used in so many different dishes – not just roasted or used in salads like many people do.
One of my favourite ways to use zucchini is in a dessert!
If you're looking for a different but delicious way to prepare zucchini, you should definitely try out my recipe for spiced zucchini cake!
Spiced zucchini bundt cake is an incredibly delicious way to get veggies into your diet! This IS a dessert so it might be a little bit more sinful BUT that's okay!
If you've never had a cake or dessert using zucchini before please trust me on this. Zucchini cake is amazing!
This cake is incredibly moist and the cinnamon, ginger and nutmeg make this a wonderful dessert to serve during this time of year.
For this recipe to come out perfect every time, make sure that after you grate the zucchini you squeeze some of the moisture out.
The zucchini doesn't have to be completely dried out, but I find the giving them a little squeeze to get the excess liquid out helps gives this cake a wonderful texture.
Doing this will also allow the zucchini to soak up all the other flavours in the cake. 🙂
I like to drizzle a basic cinnamon and sugar glaze over the zucchini cake to send. This just adds to the awesomeness!
And let me tell you… It's a lot of awesome!
After the cake has cooled, I drizzle some of the glaze over top and reserve a little extra in a measuring cup on the side to pour on the individual slices just in case anybody wants more sweetness!
psssst… while you're here… If you're looking for more delicious zucchini recipes, be sure to check out this awesome zucchini recipe round up!Print
- 2 cups zucchini (is equal to about 1 or 2 zucchinis), grated and some of the moisture squeezed out
- 3/4 cup unsalted butter, melted
- 1/4 cup milk
- 2 tsp vanilla
- 3 eggs
- 2 3/4 cups all purpose flour
- 1 tbsp + 1/4 tsp baking powder
- 1 1/4 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/8 tsp nutmeg
- 1/8 tsp ground ginger
- 1 1/3 cups sugar
For the Glaze:
- 2 cups confectioners sugar
- 1/4 –1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 4 – 6 Tbsp milk (adjust according to how thick you want the glaze)
- Pre-heat the oven to 350°F.
- Grease a 10″ bundt pan with cooking spray or butter. Set aside.
- Prepare the zucchini by grating over a mixing bowl.
- Over a mesh strainer use your hands to squeeze out some of the moisture from the zucchini. You don't have to get all the moisture out but it's best to remove some before moving onto the next steps. Once you do this add the zucchini back into the mixing bowl.
- Into the mixing bowl with the zucchini, combine the melted butter, milk, vanilla and eggs. Mix together well.
- In a separate large mixing bowl, Combine the flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, sugar and spices. Using a whisk works well to get everything well combined.
- Pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients. Combine.
- IMPORTANT: When combining the wet and dry ingredients try to avoid over stirring. You want to mix until the dry just start to dissolve into the wet.
- Pour the batter into the greased bundt pan and use a spoon or spatula to spread it evenly.
- Place the cake in the oven to bake for about 45 minutes.
- Remove from the oven an allow to cool on a wire rack (still in the pan).
- Once ready to serve, place a plate on top of the bundt pan and flip over. The cake should easily come out of the pan.
- Drizzle the glaze over the cake in desired amount. Reserve some of the glaze to serve with the cake if anyone wants extra! 😀
How to make the glaze:
- Combine all ingredients under the Glaze section above. Adjust the amount of milk used depending on how thick you would like it.
- This makes about 1 cup of glaze which is more than enough for the cake, plus some to serve on the side if you want extra.
- You can also adjust the amount of cinnamon depending on your tastes.
- Category: Dessert
- Method: Baking