I'm a bit afraid to admit it, but in spite of the moans and groans I've been hearing from others when it comes to the colder temperatures of the season – I'm happy as a clam over here! Well… as happy as a frozen clam maybe? lol
So why am I so “happy” about the cold weather?
It's comfort food season everyone!
With the cold weather rolling in I'll be making tonnes of hearty and soul warming meals.
My favorite comfort food for this time of year has got to be soup and stews, so today I'm excited to share with you my recipe for the classic homemade Vegetable Beef Soup!
This classic homemade veggie beef soup is so simple to make and perfectly satisfying.
Load this soup up with some delicious bite sized chunks of steak along with some potatoes, carrots, tomatoes, celery, onions and herbs and your taste buds will be singing! 🙂
Oh and let me tell you… this smells absolutely divine simmering away on the stove…. <3
You can also try adding some other vegetables to the recipe if you like – pretty much anything will work – chopped green beans and corn make a nice addition.
Besides this soup being amazingly comforting and delicious another great thing about it is that it freezes very well. You can freeze portions of this to have on hand when the craving for homemade yumminess hits. 🙂Print
- 2 ½ tbsps butter
- 1 ½ – 2 lbs beef, cut into ½” cubes (make sure your beef is room temperature before cooking and not cold right out of the fridge)
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 3 tbsps all purpose flour
- 1 tbsp paprika
- 1 tsp salt
- ½ tsp dried marjoram
- ¼ tsp ground black pepper
- ½ tsp garlic powder
- 4 cups beef stock or broth
- 4 cups water
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 ½ cup celery, chopped
- 1/3 cup celery leaves, chopped
- 2 cups carrots, peeled and sliced
- 4 cups potatoes, peeled and cubed (about ½” like the beef cubes)
- 1/3 cup fresh parsley, chopped
- 1 tsp Italian Seasoning
- 1 tsp Worcestershire sauce
- 1 (28 oz) can diced tomatoes
- 1 (5.5 oz) can tomato paste
- In a medium mixing bowl combine the flour, paprika, salt, marjoram, pepper and garlic powder.
- Add the cubed beef to the mixing bowl and coat with the spice and flour mixture. Make sure all the beef is coated – don’t be afraid to use your hands! Allow the beef to sit for 5 minutes or so to really suck in the spices and flour. The beef should absorb the seasonings.
- In a large stock pot, on medium high heat melt the butter. Brown the beef in the butter – stir a couple times. (Tip: the soup will taste amazing if you allow your beef to get a nice sear on it!)
- Once the beef has browned, add the onions to the pan and cook until softened and slightly browned. Add Worcestershire sauce.
- To the pot, add beef stock, water, Italian Seasoning, bay leaves and celery leaves. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer for about 1 hour.
- Add potatoes, carrots and chopped celery. Stir in diced tomatoes and tomato paste. Simmer (covered) for 30 – 45 minutes or until veggies are cooked through.
- Remove the bay leaves before serving.
Tastes amazing served with a side of crusty bread! Enjoy!
- Category: Soup
- Method: Stove Top
- Cuisine: American/Canadian