This classic homemade vegetable beef soup is so simple to make, warm, hearty and perfectly satisfying. It's perfect for those days when you don't have time to cook. It's simple, delicious, and best of all, it's homemade!
This delicious homemade soup is loaded with some delicious bite sized chunks of beef along with some potatoes, carrots, tomatoes, celery, onions and herbs and your taste buds will be singing! 🙂
*This post has been updated from an earlier version to include new photos and a few tweaks to the original recipe to make it even more scrumptious!*
Oh and let me tell you… this smells absolutely divine simmering away on the stove…. <3
This soup is so comforting and delicious, not to mention that it freeze well too! You can make smaller portions of this yummy goodness for those days where you're feeling under the weather or just need something quick. 🙂
I hope you enjoy this recipe! ❤️ If you give it a try, please let me know how it turned out for you in the comments section at the bottom of the page or share a pic of your om noms on Instagram and tag @dishesanddustbunnies! ❤️
What cut of beef is best for soup?
The best cut of beef for soup is chuck roast, but you can use other kinds as well. Here are some more ideas: chuck roast, beef stew meat, beef shanks, beef brisket, oxtail, beef marrow bones, etc.
If you're looking to make the recipe extra cost-effective, you could even use ground beef! Personally I prefer stewing beef or chuck roast, but ground beef will do nicely if that's what you have on hand. If you do choose to use ground beef, for best results, please make sure to keep the pieces the size of ½ inch chunks – almost like little meatballs.
Be sure to see the recipe card at the bottom of the post for full ingredients & instructions!
How to make Vegetable Beef Soup – Overview
You can find the full recipe details, including ingredient amounts and the full instructions, at the bottom of this post, but first, here's a quick overview of how to make a homemade beef vegetable soup recipe!
Hearty vegetable beef soup is super easy to make! First, combine flour, paprika, marjoram, Italian seasoning, garlic powder, pepper, and salt. In a mixing bowl, coat the stewing beef/chuck roast beef cubes in the flour mixture and let it absorb.
In a large pot, on medium high heat, melt the butter. Add the seasoned beef to the pot and allow it to brown; stir a few times. (Tip: the soup will taste amazing if you allow your beef to get a nice sear on it!)
Next, add the onions, Worcestershire sauce, and bay leaves. Cook, while stirring a few times, until the onions have softened. Add beef broth, water, canned tomatoes, tomato paste, and chopped celery leaves to the pot.
Add cubed potatoes, carrots, and chopped celery. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer for about 45 minutes – 1 hour. Remove the bay leaves before serving and taste test – add salt and pepper according to taste, and garnish with fresh chopped parsley.
This soup tastes fantastic, served with a side of crusty bread! Enjoy! 😋
How to make Veggie Beef Soup in a Slow Cooker
Start by browning your beef with the flour and spice mixture, butter, onions and bay leaf in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Once the beef is browned, add it to your slow cooker.
Cover the slow cooker and cook on low for 6-8 hours, or on high for 3-4 hours. Once the soup is finished cooking, Ladle into bowls and enjoy!
How to make Veggie Beef Soup in a Pressure Cooker or Instant Pot
Set your instant pot to the sauté function. Add in the butter and beef (coated in the flour and seasoning mixture). Sauté until the beef is browned. Add in the remaining ingredients and set your instant pot to the soup function. Cook for 30 minutes.
How to thicken vegetable beef soup
This recipe can be made without the need of any additional ingredients to thicken up your soup as the flour will do wonders when cooked with beef at the beginning of the recipe. The starchiness from potatoes also helps create a more textured and hearty dish, which you'll love!
You can also thicken your soup by removing some of the potatoes and mashing them, then adding it back!
If you enjoy this recipe, be sure to try my Classic Homemade French Onion Soup from Scratch!
Veggie Beef Soup Variations
You can also try adding some other vegetables to the recipe if you like – pretty much anything will work – chopped green beans, frozen peas and corn make a nice addition. You could also try adding some pre cut frozen vegetables if you like!
Instead of stewing beef or chuck roast, etc, you could also use ground beef – just make sure that the pieces are cooked in chunks about ½ inch in size.
What to serve with Vegetable Beef Soup
Some great side dishes to serve with vegetable beef soup include:
- Garlic bread
- Roasted vegetables
Leftovers – How to Store and Reheat
How long is vegetable beef soup good for?
When stored in an airtight container, vegetable beef soup is good for 3-4 days in the fridge and can be frozen for 2-3 months.
If you have leftover vegetable beef soup, you can reheat it in the microwave or on the stove. To reheat in the microwave, put the soup in a microwavable bowl and heat it for about two minutes. To reheat on the stove, put the soup in a pot and heat it over medium heat until it is hot.
Easy Homemade Vegetable Beef Soup
- Total Time: 1 hour 15 minutes
- Yield: 8–10 Servings 1x
- 1 ½ – 2 lbs beef, cut into ½” cubes (make sure your beef is room temperature before cooking and not cold right out of the fridge)
- 3 tbsps all purpose flour
- 1 tbsp paprika
- 1 tsp salt
- ½ tsp dried marjoram
- ¼ tsp ground black pepper
- ½ tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp Italian Seasoning
- 3 tbsps butter
- 2 medium onion, chopped
- 1 tsp Worcestershire sauce
- 2 bay leaves
- 4 cups beef stock or broth
- 4 cups water
- 1 (28 oz) can diced tomatoes
- 1 (5.5 oz) can tomato paste
- 1 ½ cup celery, chopped
- 1/3 cup celery leaves, chopped
- 2 cups carrots, peeled and sliced
- 4 cups potatoes, peeled and cubed (about ½” like the beef cubes)
- 1/3 cup fresh parsley, chopped
- In a medium mixing bowl combine the flour, paprika, marjoram, Italian seasoning, garlic powder, pepper and salt.
- Add the cubed beef to the mixing bowl and coat with the spice and flour mixture. Make sure all the beef is coated – don’t be afraid to use your hands! Allow the beef to sit for 5 minutes or so to really suck in the spices and flour. The beef will absorb the seasonings.
- In a large stock pot, on medium high heat melt the butter. Add the seasoned beef to the pot and allow it to brown for a bit; stir a few times. (Tip: the soup will taste amazing if you allow your beef to get a nice sear on it!)
- Next add the onions, worchestershire sauce and bay leaves. Cook, while stirring a few times, until the onions have softened.
- To the pot, add beef stock, water, diced tomatoes, tomato paste and chopped celery leaves.
- Add potatoes, carrots and chopped celery. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer for about 45 minutes – 1 hour.
- Remove the bay leaves before serving and taste test – add salt and pepper according to taste.
- Garnish with fresh chopped parsley.
Tastes amazing served with a side of crusty bread! Enjoy!
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 1 hour
- Category: Soup
- Method: Stove Top
- Cuisine: American/Canadian