- 1 ½ – 2 lbs beef, cut into ½” cubes (make sure your beef is room temperature before cooking and not cold right out of the fridge)
- 3 tbsps all purpose flour
- 1 tbsp paprika
- 1 tsp salt
- ½ tsp dried marjoram
- ¼ tsp ground black pepper
- ½ tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp Italian Seasoning
- 3 tbsps butter
- 2 medium onion, chopped
- 1 tsp Worcestershire sauce
- 2 bay leaves
- 4 cups beef stock or broth
- 4 cups water
- 1 (28 oz) can diced tomatoes
- 1 (5.5 oz) can tomato paste
- 1 ½ cup celery, chopped
- 1/3 cup celery leaves, chopped
- 2 cups carrots, peeled and sliced
- 4 cups potatoes, peeled and cubed (about ½” like the beef cubes)
- 1/3 cup fresh parsley, chopped
- In a medium mixing bowl combine the flour, paprika, marjoram, Italian seasoning, garlic powder, pepper and salt.
- Add the cubed beef to the mixing bowl and coat with the spice and flour mixture. Make sure all the beef is coated – don’t be afraid to use your hands! Allow the beef to sit for 5 minutes or so to really suck in the spices and flour. The beef will absorb the seasonings.
- In a large stock pot, on medium high heat melt the butter. Add the seasoned beef to the pot and allow it to brown for a bit; stir a few times. (Tip: the soup will taste amazing if you allow your beef to get a nice sear on it!)
- Next add the onions, worchestershire sauce and bay leaves. Cook, while stirring a few times, until the onions have softened.
- To the pot, add beef stock, water, diced tomatoes, tomato paste and chopped celery leaves.
- Add potatoes, carrots and chopped celery. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer for about 45 minutes – 1 hour.
- Remove the bay leaves before serving and taste test – add salt and pepper according to taste.
- Garnish with fresh chopped parsley.
Tastes amazing served with a side of crusty bread! Enjoy!
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 1 hour
- Category: Soup
- Method: Stove Top
- Cuisine: American/Canadian