The ultimate crab cake recipe is finally here! These tasty treats are easy to make, great for parties or special occasions. Follow these simple steps and you'll have an appetizer that everyone will love
This week has been a busy and tough one since everyone here has come down with what is either a very bad cold or the flu. I honestly haven't felt like doing very much cooking this week, but I also didn't want to spend a bunch of money on takeout so I made these delicious little things!
On a side note – I apologize for the lack of updates this week! I'm sure you understand though. 🙂
These delicious little crab cakes were perfect for an easy meal served with some home fries and veggies. It honestly takes barely any effort at all to make these!
Basically, all the ingredients for this recipe are combined in a bowl and then formed into small patties and then fried up in a skillet with some vegetable oil.
The crab cakes only need about 2-3 minutes per side to brown up in the skillet since the crab meat is already cooked. I then lay them out on a paper towel to make sure any excess vegetable oil is drained.
Once the crab cakes are ready they are delightfully crispy with a soft and flavorful flaky inside.
I love to use fresh dill when cooking seafood and it tastes so wonderful in this recipe along with the other spices.
A little dab of my homemade tartar sauce tastes spectacular with the crab cakes!
If you'd like this recipe to be even easier you can try making the patties ahead of time and freeze them.
You can cook the crab cakes right from frozen by just adding a couple more minutes to the cooking time in the skillet. Having these on hand and ready to go straight from the freezer make this such a simple addition to any meal.
These crab cakes also make for a great appetizer as well!
- 1 lb pre-cooked or ready to eat crab meat (or use imitation crab meat)
- 1/4 – 1/2 cup fresh dill, chopped
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- 1 1/2 tsp grainy Dijon mustard
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp onion powder
- 1/2 tsp paprika
- 1/2 tsp Worchestershire sauce
- pinch of cayenne pepper
- pinch of salt
- pinch of pepper
- 3/4 cup of mayonnaise
- 1 egg
- 3/4 cup Italian style bread crumbs (the kind that has some herb seasoning in it)
- Vegetable oil for frying
- In a mixing bowl break up the crab meat so that it's in smaller chunks and flaky.
- Add the remaining ingredients to the crabmeat and combine very well.
- Form the mixture into 16 small patties.
- Heat the vegetable oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat.
- Make sure that the oil is hot before dropping the crab cakes into the skillet. If the oil is not hot enough it will absorb into the crab cakes – you don't want that.
- Cook the crab cakes for 2-3 minutes on each side or until golden. If cooking from frozen you'll need to cook an additional 1-2 minutes on each side.
- Once they've cooked remove from the skillet and place on paper towel to drain any excess vegetable oil.
- Serve in addition to fries or rice and vegetables. Tastes awesome with homemade tartar sauce.