This delicious cornbread recipe is soft, ultra moist, super flavourful and easy to make. I've been making my cornbread using this recipe for years, and it's my absolute favourite! This homemade cornbread recipe creates a perfect crisp and golden top with a satisfyingly moist and delicious inside… I know you're going to love it!
Cornbread is one of those things that has the magical ability to send me right back to the happy times of my childhood. There's just something so comforting and heartwarming about a good old-fashioned cornbread recipe, and I know many of you feel the same way! 😀
One of my favourite things (besides devouring it!) is the delicious smell the cornbread fills the house with while it's baking. Smells like home!
I hope you enjoy this recipe! ❤️ If you give it a try, please let me know how it turned out for you in the comments section at the bottom of the page or share a pic of your om noms on Instagram and tag @dishesanddustbunnies! ❤️
*This post has been updated from an earlier version to include new photos and a few tweaks to the original recipe to make it even more scrumptious!*
Get the Recipe at the bottom of the page!
How to make The Best Homemade Cornbread
If you haven't made cornbread before, you'll be happy to know that this is sooooo easy to make! You'll find the complete instructions and ingredients in the recipe card at the bottom of this post, but first, here is a little overview of making delicious homemade cornbread.
Start by combining the dry ingredients in a mixing bowl (flour, cornmeal, sugar, baking soda, and salt). Next, in a separate mixing bowl, combine all of your wet ingredients (eggs, yogurt, creamed corn, oil).
Combine the wet with the dry ingredients, then pour the batter into a greased and parchment lined glass baking dish and bake in the oven for 30 minutes at 400°F. Once the cornbread has finished baking, spread melted butter over the top. Yum!
What ingredients are in Cornbread?
This classic version of cornbread uses simple and easy to find ingredients. Cornmeal is the main ingredient along with some all purpose flour, a tiny tiny amount of sugar, a little baking soda and some salt.
The wet ingredients for this version of cornbread create a moist and flavourful treat indeed!
For this recipe, besides eggs and a little oil, I added some plain yogurt and creamed corn! The creamed corn gives the cornbread an amazing flavour and also adds some yummy little corn pieces throughout. The yogurt gives it a nice moist richness too!
How to store Cornbread and keep it fresh
For this cornbread recipe, as it contains yogurt to keep it moist, I would highly recommend storing it in the fridge inside a sealed container or zip top bag.
Before serving, you can warm them up in the oven for a bit or leave it on the counter to reach room temperature for about 15 minutes.
How long is cornbread good for?
When stored in the fridge, this cornbread recipe should be good for about 1 week. When stored in the freezer it should be good for 2-3 months.
What to serve with Cornbread
Cornbread is such a classic and easy to make side that goes great with just about anything. It's especially wonderful when served warm and fresh from the oven. 😋
Below are some yummy ideas on what to serve it with:
- Hearty soups, stews and chili
- Green veggies – green beans, collard greens, brussel sprouts, etc
- Anything with Jalapenos!
- Anything BBQ
- 1/2 cup all purpose flour
- 2 1/4 cups cornmeal
- 1/2 tsp sugar
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 1/4 tsp salt
- 2 large eggs
- 1 1/3 cup plain yogurt
- 2 tbsps oil
- 2 (14 oz) cans of creamed corn (if you have homemade use 1 2/3 cup)
- Optional but nice: 2 tbsps melted butter, to spread on top after baking
- Preheat the oven to 400°F.
- Grease a 9″x13″ glass baking dish using cooking spray or butter.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine all the dry ingredients using a whisk (flour, cornmeal, sugar, baking soda, salt).
- Combine the wet ingredients in a separate mixing bowl (eggs, yogurt, oil, creamed corn).
- Pour the wet ingredients into the mixing bowl with the dry ingredients and combine.
- Pour the batter into the greased baking dish and spread evenly using your mixing spoon.
- Place into the oven to bake for 25-30 minutes. Use a toothpick to test its doneness – when the toothpick comes out clean when inserted into the middle, it's ready.
- Brush melted butter over the top of the cornbread (this is optional but really nice!)
- Allow the cornbread to cool for about 5 minutes before cutting into 12 squares.
- Prep Time: 5 mins
- Cook Time: 30 mins
- Category: Bread
- Method: Bake
- Cuisine: American/Canadian