Today I'm sharing with you a crazy simple appetizer that's super quick to make and packs incredible flavour.
And as much as I'd like to take the credit for this little recipe, it was my son Donnie who came up with it! ❤️
Steak and salsa taco bites are truly one of the easiest and most delicious appetizers you can make. The flavours of grilled and succulent cubes of steak along with vibrantly fresh salsa makes this something your guests will gobble up in no time! My 6 year old son came up with this recipe and he's so beyond excited that I'm sharing it with you! ❤️
Donnie came up with the idea one day when we were having a quick lunch. Originally, I only planned on having some of my fresh salsa with the scoopable tortilla chips as a side with some leftover steak but Donnie had a better idea! ? When we serve steak I always cut the meat in to small cubes for my son, since, well.. you know… he's a kid and kids get cute little safe to eat portions right?
I started eat my steak in the grown up way… cut a piece and then take a bite. Tasty but kind of missing a yummy opportunity here right? ?
Donnie says “Look what I'm making!” with so much pride in his eyes it was just precious! ❤️
There he was being a little chef telling his Mama how to make the “flavours even better” (his words!). This kid schooled me hardcore I tell you – I have no idea why I didn't think of this myself! haha ? For now, I'll just blame it on lack of sleep..
For this recipe, we used my homemade fresh salsa but you can use any kind you like best. I must say though, the flavours of fresh salsa really elevate the appetizer when compared the salsa you get in a jar though.
Since we had leftover steak on hand, this is what we used but you can also use cubes of grilled chicken breast if you like. You could even use cubes of freshly cooked fish or haddock to make “fish taco bites”! OMG ?
I hope you enjoy this recipe as much as we do!
Also, my son Donnie would love to hear from you so if you could leave a comment at the bottom of this post for him, he'd be thrilled! ❤️❤️Print
- Cooked steak cut into small bite sized cubes (leftover steak is great for this!)– I like my steak grilled with a doneness of medium rare, but you can cook your steak to whatever doneness you prefer
- Fresh Salsa – you can find my recipe for homemade fresh salsa here or you can use whatever kind you like. I highly recommend using fresh salsa since the flavours are incredible with the flavours of juicy grilled steak
- Tex Mex style shredded cheese
- Scoop style tortilla chips – ex. Tostitos Scoops Tortilla Chips
- Add a cube of cooked steak to each of the tortilla scoop chips.
- Spoon some salsa on top of the steak cube.
- Sprinkle with a little cheese.
- Serve the appetizers right away to hungry guests. ?
You'll notice that I didn't add any specific amounts for the ingredients in this recipe. For this recipe, the amounts of the ingredients used is completely up to you – you can make as many as you like so long as there's enough to go around for each “bite”.
For best results, it's best to serve these to guests shortly after putting them together.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Category: Appetizer
- Cuisine: Tex Mex