Oh hi there! ??
It's been such a crazy busy year… well the past couple years have been insane and filled with a lot of ups and downs but… I'd like to finally say, “I'm back!!! And for good this time!!” haha ?
In August, I'll share with you a little about why I've been hiding in the shadows so much the last few years, but for now, I just wanted to say again; Thank you so much for all the love and support I've received from you through email, my blog and on my social channels! It truly means so much to me! ❤️
Seriously though, here I am, back for good! I've been working hard making some new recipes, re-working old ones and taking a bunch of fresh photos of all the yummy stuff my family and I have been munching on and I can't wait to share it with you! Over the next couple weeks, I'll be getting back into my old posting schedule of publishing once or twice a week so you'll be hearing from me more often. ❤️
So, with starting fresh in mind today I'm sharing with you my super simple go to recipe for homemade fresh salsa!
With the heat of the summertime at full power, I just haven't felt like heating up the stove unless it's absolutely necessary, so we've been eating a lot of non-cook or “cook as little as possible” type meals. ? It's just so much easier on a hot day to make a great big batch of flavourful and fresh chunky salsa to go with some grilled chicken breasts or steak with some rice. MmmMMmmm!
You can go the traditional route and serve this salsa with your favourite tortilla chips. But… don't stop there…
This salsa is absolutely amazing in a homemade burrito bowl!
Plump and juicy ripe roma tomatoes with chopped red onion, minced garlic, cumin and just the right amount of lime juice make this for one absolutely incredible homemade fresh salsa that you'll be making again and again.
I've been making this recipe at least once a week all summer long and everyone loves it so I know you will too! ❤️
psssst… while you're here… If you're looking for more delicious salsa recipes, be sure to check out this awesome salsa recipe round up!Print
3 cloves garlic
1 medium red onion
1/2 tsp cumin
1/2 tsp Salt
1/8 tsp pepper
juice of 1 lime
9 roma tomatoes, cut into quarters and seeds removed (It's iimportant to remove the seeds or your salsa will end up having too much liquid)
1/2 bunch of cilantro, washed, patted dry and removed from stems
Optional but recommended: 1/2 a jalapeño, sliced lengthwise, seeded and chopped finely (use gloves when working with hot peppers!) You can adjust the amount depending on your taste.
To whip this salsa up super fast, I like to use my food processor but if you prefer you can also chop everything by hand. Either way is fine!
To make using a food processor:
- Add garlic to the processor and pulse a couple times to chop finely.
- Add red onion and pulse a couple times until you have small pieces, but not pureed. You want little chunks.
- Add cilantro, salt, pepper, cumin, lime juice and jalapeño. Pulse a couple times until the cilantro is chopped up fine with the rest of the ingredients.
- Using a spatula, scrape down the sides of the food processor. Add the tomatoes and pulse 4-5 times until they are roughly chopped and in chunks. You may have to open up the processor and move the tomatoes around a bit to make sure they all get evenly chopped. Don't overdo the pulsing though or you will end up with a sauce… which is ok if that's what you're going for… but today we're making salsa! ?❤️
- Pour the contents of the processor into an airtight container and allow to chill for at least 20 min. This gives the ingredients a chance to combine and give you the ultimate deliciousness!
- Serve with tortilla chips, in tacos, burritos or anything else you might enjoy!
To make Without a food processor: Chop ingredients and combine everything. Basically do everything the same order as outlined above, but by hand. 🙂
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 20 min to chill
- Method: Food Processor
- Cuisine: Mexican