Looking for a new lip smacking chicken recipe?
Well, I've got 3 words for you.
Honey BBQ Chicken!
This recipe is so good, you'll be adding it to your meal plans again and again!
Since coming up with this recipe, I've made it more times than I can count and my family requests it often.
I know you'll love this! 🙂
Seriously though, the combination of ingredients for this recipe create irresistibly mouthwatering sweet and tangy pieces of chicken.
The magic to this recipe is actually very simple.
Before coating the meat, I give it a massage.
Yes, make your chicken happy and give it a massage… with some some herbs and spices that is! 😀
For the rub, I use a combination of garlic and onion powder, smoked paprika, cayenne, black pepper and a little salt. Just combine all these spices together and massage it right into the meat.
If you'd like, you can put the chicken in a zip top baggie and chill in the fridge overnight – this will make the flavors POP even more! 😀
Once you're ready to cook the chicken, place 'em on a baking sheet. Spread some of that yummy sauce over the chicken and throw them in the oven.
Part way through cooking, take the chicken out and spread some more sauce on top. Make sure you save a little (see the recipe below for details) to spread on top of the chicken once they come out of the oven.
Doing this will make for deliciously awesome sticky honey BBQ chicken!
And that's all there is to it – if you give this recipe a try, please let me know in the comments section below!
I'd love to hear from you!
- 4 large chicken legs, bones attached (I used about 4 lbs of chicken) – Feel free to try this recipe with other cuts of chicken 🙂
For the Rub:
- 1 tbsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1/2 tbsp smoked paprika
- Pinch of cayenne pepper
For the sauce:
- 1 cup BBQ sauce (I used a garlic based one but you can use whatever you like)
- 1/3 cup + 1 tbsp honey
- 3/4 cup chili sauce (Use the kind like this, which is similar to ketchup – but with a little kick)
- Thoroughly combine the ingredients for the rub in a small bowl.
- Massage the rub mixture onto the chicken and allow to chill in the fridge for at least 30 min before cooking. NOTE: If you'd like, you can marinate the chicken in the rub mixture overnight in a large zip top bag overnight in the fridge.
- Thoroughly combine the ingredients for the sauce in a mixing bowl. Into a smaller bowl, reserve about 1/2 cup of the sauce for use at the very end.
- Preheat the oven to 425°F.
- Place the chicken onto a baking sheet.
- Spread 3/4 cup of the sauce mixture over the chicken.
- Bake the chicken in the oven for 45 – 60 minutes. Half way through the cooking process, spread remaining sauce (except the reserved 1/2 cup) over the chicken.
- Once the chicken has finished cooking and has been removed from the oven, spread the reserve 1/2 cup sauce over the chicken.
- Serve with potato wedges, fries or whatever else you like! 😀
- Prep Time: 20 mins
- Cook Time: 60 mins
- Category: Main