I'm so excited to share this recipe with you since it's one of my favorites. I always enjoyed eating the Hamburger Helper version of beef Stroganoff back in my university days since it was so convenient. This version is much different because it's made using regular and fresh ingredients and not from a package. When I make this, my husband can't help but go for seconds or even thirds so I have to make sure I prepare enough! LOL
Instead of using sour cream I opted for using fat free Greek Yogurt in the recipe since it's a little healthy. Also please don't be put off the the 4 cloves of garlic – the flavor will mellow and be less intense once it's finished cooking. It's soooo good!
Please find the recipe below. Let me know what you think!Print
- 1 lb extra lean ground beef
- 8 oz button mushrooms, sliced
- 4 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1 medium onion, thinly sliced
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 3 tbsp butter
- 3 cups beef stock (use homemade if you have it but store bought is great too)
- 2/3 cup fat free Greek yogurt
- 4 tbsp all purpose flour
- 340 g package of broad egg noodle pasta (I use No Yolks kind)
- Brown beef in a skillet. Drain any fat and remove from the pan. Set aside until needed (I put mine in a bowl lined with paper towel to get any additional fat left over)
- Add butter to the skillet and cook sliced onion and mushrooms over medium heat until softened and onions begin to brown a bit.
- Add the minced garlic and cook for about a minute.
- Add the cooked ground beef back into the skillet and combine.
- Add beef stock, salt and pepper.
- Whisk in the flour 1 tbsp at a time making sure to avoid leaving any lumps.
- Bring the mixture in the skillet to a boil. Turn down the heat to minimum and whisk in the Greek yogurt and allow the mixture to thicken up.
- Cook your noodles to the package directions, make sure they're well drained and then add them to the skillet. Make sure the noodles are coated well.
- You can now turn off the heat on the burner and place a lid on the skillet. Leave it on the burner for a few minutes with the lid on so the noodles soak in that yummy sauce.