We can all feel the changing of the seasons and the cold winter air creeping up on us. This hearty slow cooker beef stew should warm you up quite nicely!
I make this beef stew for my family whenever the weather starts to get colder. It's great to come in from an afternoon walk and smell this lovely stew bubbling away in the slow cooker!
The ingredients used are very simple but the flavor is so delicious. I use a combination of spices along with stewing beef, potatoes, carrots, onions and whole canned tomatoes. This makes for a very inexpensive meal that tastes just as good as it looks.
You might also enjoy this with my home baked bread – we certainly do! 🙂Print
- 2lbs of cubed stewing beef
- 1 tbsp flour
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 3/4 tsp pepper
- 1 tbsp veg oil
- 1/2 tsp sage
- 1/2 tsp basil
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 25 oz canned whole tomatoes
- 1 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tbsp cornstarch
- 1 beef bouillon cube (try to get the reduced sodium kind)
- 3lbs white potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 4 medium carrots, peeled and cut into coins
- 3 medium onions, quartered
- Season the beef with salt and pepper and toss with the flour to coat.
- In a skillet with some oil brown up the beef. Don't cook it all the way though – just brown it.
- Pour your beef and any drippings into the bottom of the slow cooker.
- Add to the slow cooker the remaining ingredients.
- When you add the tomatoes break them up a bit with a spoon.
- Combine all ingredients in the slow cooker so that everything is coated.
- Put the lid on and cook it on Low for 6-8 hours or High for 4-5 hours.
I use a 5.5 quart slow cooker