When I'm crunched for time and need to come up with something quick for dinner one of my go to meals is the good ol' classic stir fry.
And when I say I'm crunched for time, just picture me with one foot out the door on the way to various appointments, kids birthday parties, helping with homework all while cooking dinner and holding a laundry basket at the same time. How's that for multitasking? lol 😉
Maybe you've been there too!
Seriously though, one of the easiest and quickest meals to prepare for the family while taking care of a million other things around the house is the classic stir fry.
Today, I share with you my go to recipe for one of the most simple and flavorful stir fry sauces you'll ever make!
This stir fry sauce is amazing used with any kind of meat and veggie combo that you like. I find it's especially delicious with strips of thinly sliced beef but it's just as good when used with chicken, pork or even tofu. The delicious garlic and ginger flavors of this stir fry sauce will have you making this again and again!
I like to keep a mason jar of stir fry sauce in my fridge to have on hand for those days when I just want to get something made quick without sacrificing any potential yumminess. 😀
Cook your meat or protein in a little of the sauce, then add your veggies and cook. The sauce will thicken up a bit while cooking since it contains a little cornstarch – feel free to adjust the amount in the recipe if you'd like a thicker sauce.
We enjoy having our stir frys served over a bed of rice or with some ramen noodles!
Om nom nom nom! Enjoy!
- 1/2 cup dark brown sugar, packed
- 1/2 tsp ground ginger
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/3 cup soy sauce
- 1 cup broth (can be vegetable, chicken or beef)
- 1 tsp sesame oil
- pinch red pepper flakes
- 2 tsp honey
- 2 tsps cornstarch
- Combine all ingredients in a large mason jar and shake well.
- Place in the fridge to chill for at least 1 hour before using. If you're really, really crunched for time it's ok to use the sauce right away – allowing the sauce to chill does allow the flavours to combine and become even yummier – either way it's yummy!
- Use to flavor your next stir fry – goes great with any meat and veg combo!
Here's How I do Stir Fry:
- In a wok or large frying pan, begin cooking your protein (meat or whatever you like!) in a little oil. Add a little (or a lot) stir fry sauce to flavour. Stir and toss until cooked. Remove the meat or protein from the pan/wok and set aside.
- In the pan add a little more stir fry sauce and cook your onion, garlic, ginger (if you're using them – whatever you prefer!). I cook these first when doing a stir fry since it amps up the flavors and you don't end up over cooking your other veggies. Cook onions/garlic/ginger until they're fragrant and softened – like 5 minutes or so.
- Add some more stir fry sauce (again use as much as you like) to the pan and add your veggies. Stir around the veggies until they're cooked through. Your sauce should thicken up a bit.
- Add the meat/protein back to the pan and stir around.
- Serve on top of rice or with noodles – it's up to you! 😀
If you'd like the sauce to thicken up a bit more, you can add a little more cornstarch to the recipe.
- Category: Sauce
- Method: Stir Fry
- Cuisine: Asian Inspired