If you’re a seafood lover like I am, you’re really going to love this recipe!
Last week I shared with you my recipe for corn fritters and mentioned that I had also made clam fritters at the same time. When I make fritters, I like to make a variety so everyone gets something they love.
Just like the corn fritters, these crispy little clam fritters are super delicious and super addictive!
Being the East Coast Canadian that I am, there’s no way I can pass up an opportunity to eat as much seafood as possible. I can almost guarantee that if you put me in one of those food eating contests and gave me unlimited seafood everything would be gone before even hit the plate! LOL
These yummy seafood bites are so great to serve the parties as an appetizer with a little tartar sauce on the side.
You don’t have to have a party planned though to make these to enjoy at home for yourself.
You could serve these as part of the meal along with some wild rice and veggies and they work quite well. When I have fried foods, I try to add a few other healthy items so I don’t feel as guilty! LOL
These clam fritters do taste amazing with the side of French fries!
The seasonings used in the batter are quite simple and contain some onion, salt, pepper, a little bit a cayenne pepper and some garlic powder. When the clams combine with the batter along with the green onions, it becomes something so delicious and aromatic. When they came out of the fryer, the scent of the clam fritters was just amazing!
I hope you enjoy this recipe!
- 1 1/3 cup all purpose flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 1/4 tsp garlic powder
- 5 oz can of whole baby clams, drained
- 1/3 cup finely minced onion (I used a food processor and processed until they were in small pieces but not pureed)
- 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1/4 cup milk
- 2 eggs
- 3 green onions, chopped
- Vegetable oil – for frying
Other items needed:
- Deep frying or candy thermometer
- Cookie sheet with a couple layers of paper towels laid out.
- A metal cooling rack placed on top of the cookie sheet.
- Combine dry ingredients in a medium mixing bowl. Everything should be well mixed.
- Mix in the milk and eggs using a whisk.
- Add in green onions and baby clams. Gently mix.
- Heat oil in a large high sided frying pan. Oil should be about 1″ deep.
- Attach a candy/deep fryer thermometer to the side of the pan.
- Once the temperature reaches 375°F drop spoonfuls (about 1 1/2 tbsps worth) of batter into the oil. Cook for about 3 minutes and then flip them over and cook an additional 3 minutes.
- Remove from the oil and place on the metal cooling rack to drain any excess vegetable oil.
- Try not to overcrowd the pan while they are cooking. You can do these in several batches.
- Serve right away and enjoy!
- These taste awesome with my homemade tartar sauce. 🙂
Make sure you keep an eye on the temperature on your thermometer. Keep adjusting the level of heat on the burner to try and keep the temperature at 375°F as much as possible for the best results.
I'd love to hear from you so please feel free to leave a comment in the comment section below! 🙂