- 1 1/3 cup all purpose flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 1/4 tsp garlic powder
- 5 oz can of whole baby clams, drained
- 1/3 cup finely minced onion (I used a food processor and processed until they were in small pieces but not pureed)
- 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1/4 cup milk
- 2 eggs
- 3 green onions, chopped
- Vegetable oil – for frying
Other items needed:
- Deep frying or candy thermometer
- Cookie sheet with a couple layers of paper towels laid out.
- A metal cooling rack placed on top of the cookie sheet.
- Combine dry ingredients in a medium mixing bowl. Everything should be well mixed.
- Mix in the milk and eggs using a whisk.
- Add in green onions and baby clams. Gently mix.
- Heat oil in a large high sided frying pan. Oil should be about 1″ deep.
- Attach a candy/deep fryer thermometer to the side of the pan.
- Once the temperature reaches 375°F drop spoonfuls (about 1 1/2 tbsps worth) of batter into the oil. Cook for about 3 minutes and then flip them over and cook an additional 3 minutes.
- Remove from the oil and place on the metal cooling rack to drain any excess vegetable oil.
- Try not to overcrowd the pan while they are cooking. You can do these in several batches.
- Serve right away and enjoy!
- These taste awesome with my homemade tartar sauce. 🙂
Make sure you keep an eye on the temperature on your thermometer. Keep adjusting the level of heat on the burner to try and keep the temperature at 375°F as much as possible for the best results.