In my opinion, one of the best and tastiest comfort foods has got to be Sloppy Joes.
This is my take on the traditional messy and delicious Sloppy Joe… using the slow cooker!
Slow cooker Sloppy Joes are so easy to make and they taste sooooo good!
These were always a favorite of mine and I can remember how satisfying they were to have after coming home from soccer practice as kid. 🙂
The meat is first browned up in a skillet and the fat is drained. Then I added the meat to the slow cooker and added the rest of the ingredients and gave it a good stir so everything was well coated. This cooked in the slow cooker for about 5 hours.
Once the Sloppy Joe meat is ready, we like to put it on toasted hamburger buns… sometimes with a little cheese on top. 🙂
The flavors for my recipe come out with a nice garlicky and slightly sweet tomatoey taste. To add a little kick, you can add a little hot sauce to the meat while it's doing its thing in the slow cooker.
I hope you enjoy this recipe!
- 2 lbs lean ground beef
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1/2 cup onion, finely chopped
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 1/2 cup water
- 3 tbsp Worchestershire sauce
- 1/2 tsp paprika
- 1 1/2 tsp prepared yellow mustard
- 1 1/2 tbsp brown sugar
- 1 1/4 cup ketchup
- 1/4 –1/2 tsp hot sauce (optional)
- In a large skillet on medium-high heat, brown up the ground beef.
- Once browned, drain any excess fat.
- Put the cooked ground beef into the slow cooker.
- In a measuring cup or mixing bowl, combine all of the other ingredients, including onion and garlic. Combine this well so everything is combined.
- Pour the sauce over the ground beef in the slow cooker and stir it around to coat everything.
- Set the slow cooker to cook for 5 hours on LOW.
- Once finished, stir the meat and sauce around.
- Serve on toasted hamburger buns.