If you follow me on social media, you may have noticed I've been visiting good ol' New Brunswick, Canada to stay with family for a few weeks. This recipe is a tasty little something my sister Jillian came up with while I've been visiting.
My sister's shrimp curry and veggie stir fry is super simple to make and tastes sooo good!
Everyone who's been following me on Dishes and Dust Bunnies knows that I absolutely LOVE to cook.
Sometimes, I really do need a break and it's nice to have someone else make something tasty for dinner and this is one of the things I look forward to whenever I visit home to NB. 🙂
I'll be visiting my family in NB until Sept 17 so during this time the site might be a little quieter than usual but I'll still have a few updates and recipes posted for you before I head back to Toronto.
This years trip is very special to me I wasn't sure I'd be able to make it due to finances. We were able to make it work out this summer and I'm so grateful!
My grandmother turned 88 years old this August and she means the world to me so I'm very happy to be able to spend some time with her. Click here to read a little bit about last years visit.
Okay now – onto the recipe!
My sister made this shrimp curry stir fry using a combination of veggies, a little bit of garlic, ginger and some coconut milk along with some other spices. AND of course some shrimp!
It smelled so amazing as it was cooking!
Just before serving, Jillian added some cooked vermicelli rice noodles and some Japanese enoki mushrooms.
My sister had originally planned on using bean sprouts in this recipe but we couldn't find any in the grocery store so we used the enoki instead. Using the enoki mushrooms was a nice touch since it was the first time I had ever tried them!
You can substitute the enoki for bean sprouts if you like.
The flavouring of this dish was great because of the subtle taste of the coconut milk combined with the curry and other seasonings. The curry wasn't enough to make it super spicy but I gives it a delicious warmth.
YUM YUM YUM!
I had a couple servings of this since it was so good!
Please stay tuned for more updates while I'm on vacation! I'll be posting pictures and some of the happenings on my instagram account. 🙂
Shrimp Curry and Veggie Stir Fry
- Yield: 4 servings 1x
- 4 carrots, sliced in thin strips
- 1 medium onion, sliced
- 3/4 cup snow peas
- 4 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1” fresh ginger, minced
- 1/4 tsp turmeric
- 2 tbsp curry powder
- Pinch of ground sage
- 1/2 green pepper, sliced into thin strips
- 5 – 6 button mushrooms, sliced
- 1 tbsp chopped thai basil
- 1/2 lb of frozen cooked, peeled and deveined shrimp – thawed and tails removed
- 1/4 –1/2 cup coconut milk
- 2 cups enoki mushrooms (you can substitute this for bean sprouts)
- 2/3 of a pack of vermicelli rice noodles (we used a 350g pack) – prepared according to package directions
- Small amount of cooking oil
- Heat a small amount of cooking oil in a large skillet or wok on medium heat.
- Add ginger and garlic to the oil and cook until fragrant, about 1 minute.
- Add the turmeric, curry powder and sage. Stir to combine.
- Add onions and button mushrooms and cook for a few minutes until onions become softened.
- Add the carrots, green pepper and snow peas. Stir to coat and cook for about 5 minutes.
- Add the coconut milk and shrimp. Combine.
- Turn the heat down to LOW and add the cooked rice noodles. Stir to coat all the noodles in the sauce.
- Turn off the heat and add the enoki mushrooms or bean sprouts.
- Serve right away.
- Category: Main
I'd love to hear from you so please feel free to leave a comment in the comment section below!