Peaches are at the peak of their season right now so it's a great time to take advantage of some more great sales at the grocery store. (I've been talking a lot about taking advantage of sales lately, haven't I?)
Since I'm a lover of coffee cake and of fresh peaches, I thought it might be a good idea to try making a peach coffee cake!
Most of the time I try not to toot my own horn.
This is NOT one of those times. I'm sorry but when it comes to this recipe I will toot and toot and toot my horn.
I'm so proud of how this peach coffee cake turned out so I hope you don't mind! LOL
This cake is fluffy and moist and has an irresistible “peachyness” in all the right ways. A little peach here, a little peach there and some yummy slices placed all along the top.
On top of the slices of peach I sprinkled a combination of brown sugar, butter, peach preserves and a little flour and cinnamon. This creates a nice little crunch on the top of the cake and almost gives the peach slices a candied effect.
My goodness, it's good!
I really enjoy the types of cakes and goodies that come in some of those fancy shmancy coffee shops but it's very rare that I actually visit one since I'm trying to be on the frugal side.
This recipe will give you a whole bunch of yummy treats – 16 squares in fact – and for a mere fraction of what it would cost for 1 serving of a similar cake in a fancy shmancy coffee shop. 🙂
It's honestly just as good as something you would get in one of the more expensive coffee shops. (For me, any shop selling coffee for more than $1 is too much!)
We enjoyed this so much that I'm trying to come up with some more ways to adapt it using other fresh fruits!
I hope you enjoy this as much as we do!
Peach Coffee Cake
- Total Time: 55 minutes
- Yield: 16 squares of cake 1x
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 2 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup butter, unsalted and room temperature
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup peach jam or preserves
- 2 eggs
- 2/3 cup heavy cream
- 1 cup fresh peaches, skinned, pitted and sliced 1/4″ thick or less
- 2/3 cup of all purpose flour
- 1/4 cup of melted butter, unsalted
- 1/4 cup peach jam or preserves
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- Preheat the oven to 375°F.
- Grease a 13″ x 9″ metal baking pan (2″ high sides).
- Using an electric mixer cream together 1/2 cup butter and 1/2 cup sugar.
- Once creamed, add in 1/2 cup peach jam and mix until well combined.
- At medium speed beat in the eggs, one at a time until mixed in.
- Once eggs are beaten in, gradually add the heavy cream while mixing on high. The batter should thicken up. Beat this for at least 5 minutes.
- In a mixing bowl, combine the flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt using a whisk. Gradually mix this in with the wet ingredients until combined.
- Using a spatula, spread the batter evenly in the metal baking pan.
- Place sliced peaches evenly on top of the batter.
- Combine Topping ingredients. Once combined it should be almost like a “dough”.
- Sprinkle clumps of the topping evenly on top the the layer of peaches.
- Bake in the oven for 40 minutes.
- Allow to cool for about 5 minutes once it comes out of the oven.
- Serve right away warm or you can serve it cold.
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 40 minutes
- Category: Dessert
- Method: Baking