Got cravings for something decadent and minty?
Well, you're going to love this homemade mint chocolate chip ice cream recipe! It's better than store bought – promise!
I made this recipe for my ‘little' sister who came to stay with us during March break and let me tell you… she knows cravings!
My little sister has a bun in the oven and is due in late July! ❤️? OMG – we're just so excited for her and can't wait to meet the new little one!
During her visit she mentioned several times that she craved a “Shamrock Shake” from McDonald's that's available here around St. Patricks day, but alas every time we tried to get one, their ice cream machine was either down or they ran out of the minty ingredients. ugh…. I hate to disappoint a pregnant lady… especially when that lady is my sister. haha
So, big sister Michelle came to the rescue and created the creamiest, most yummy mint chocolate chip ice cream possible and it does not disappoint.
The recipe for this ice cream is very simple. Just cream together some sugar with cream cheese, add some mint extract, a pinch of salt, a couple drops of green food colouring and some milk and cream and set it to churn for 25-30 minutes in your ice cream maker.
Once the ice cream has thickened up in the last few minutes of churning, add some semi sweet chocolate. I find that chopping up some bakers chocolate gives the chocolate a nice texture in the ice cream rather than using straight up chocolate chips.
You'll end up with chocolate chunks of different sizes which makes the ice cream absolutely scrumptious. ?
Once your ice cream has been mixed, scoop it into a metal loaf pan or air tight container and freeze for a couple hours before serving.
This homemade mint chocolate chip ice cream recipe creates an absolutely irresistibly delicious dessert that you'll crave again and again! Spoonfuls of minty chocolatey goodness in creamy velvety ice cream make for the perfect craving satisfier!
psssst… while you're here… If you're looking for more delicious ice cream recipes, be sure to check out this awesome ice cream recipe round up!Print
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 4 oz cream cheese, softened
- Pinch of salt
- 1 cup milk, cold
- 2 cups heavy cream, cold
- 1 1/2 tsp mint/peppermint extract
- 4 oz semi-sweet chocolate – I used blocks of bakers chocolate and chopped it up – this creates a awesome texture for the ice cream
- 2 drops green food colouring (I used Americolor Gel Paste in Leaf Green – you can use what you like though)
- Fresh mint leaves – for garnish
- Cream together the cream cheese with the sugar. Try to work out most of the lumps so it's smooth. You can do this by hand or use an electric mixer if you like.
- Add the food colouring, mint extract and salt. Combine until smooth.
- Add the milk and cream and combine.
- Add the mixture to your ice cream maker and make according to manufacturers directions. The ice cream should be ready for the next step in 25-30 minutes.
- In the last few minutes of churning, add the chocolate and continue to mix for a couple minutes.
- Put the ice cream mixture into an air tight container (or into a metal loaf pan covered with parchment paper like I do) and freeze for at least a few hours (or overnight) before serving.
- Serve with fresh mint leaves on top as a garnish – enjoy!
Put a scoop of mint chocolate chip ice cream on top of a warm chocolate brownie and serve – whoever you give this to will love you forever! ??
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 30 Minutes in the Ice Cream maker + a couple hours to chill before serving
- Category: Dessert
- Method: Ice Cream Maker