I really LOVE mushrooms!
I could have them in just about any dish and be as happy as can be. 😀 You know what makes mushrooms even better?
I created this recipe for marinated mushrooms and artichoke hearts so I could have the deliciousness of two of my favorite things together in one tasty side dish. I'm so pleased with how it turned out. 🙂
For this recipe you can use button or cremini mushrooms, but feel free to try it with whatever variety you enjoy.
This makes for a great side or appetizer to set out on the table for Christmas and the holidays. You can serve this warm but I would highly recommend serving them chilled – I LOVE them this way!
The flavours of the earthy mushrooms paired with the marinated artichoke hearts is just spectacular along with the other seasonings thrown in there. Balsamic and white wine vinegar make everything POP!
Don't forget to chill the mushrooms and artichoke hearts in the fridge for at least 4 hours so that the ingredients have a chance to do their little dance and become tasty!
When I make these I usually chill them overnight since the longer the flavours mingle the tastier they become.
This is also great as a make ahead side dish/appetizer since you can make it a day or two ahead of time. Just pull it out of the fridge when you're ready to serve it. 🙂
Marinated Mushrooms and Artichoke Hearts
- 1 lb mushrooms, cleaned and left whole
- 2 small onions, halved and thinly sliced
- 1 tbsp cooking oil
- 2/3 cup water
- 6 oz marinated artichoke hearts, plus 2 tbsp of the oil from the jar
- 2 tbsp white wine vinegar
- 3 tsp balsamic vinegar
- 1 1/2 tsp sugar
- 3 cloves minced garlic
- 1 tbsp oregano
- 1/2 tbsp sea salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- Combine the marinade ingredients in the container or dish you plan to store the mushrooms before serving.
- In a saucepan cook the onion slices in oil on medium heat until translucent.
- Add water and mushrooms. Cook until mushrooms are soft and cooked and the water is reduced.
- Once the mushrooms have cooked, add the contents of the saucepan to the marinade and combine well.
- Place the container in the fridge and marinade for at least 4 hours before serving to allow the flavours to develop. Keep in mind that the longer the mushrooms marinade before serving the better the flavour.
- Serve as a side or appetizer with crackers or crusty toasted slices of bread.
- Category: Appetizer
I'd love to hear from you so please feel free to leave a comment in the comment section below! 🙂