Since I’m a huge fan of pasta dishes today I’m sharing my spaghetti bolognese recipe!
I’ve been trying to teach my two-year-old son (update: he's now 6!!😲) how to pronounce bolognese and the sweet little fella is doing his best. He calls bolognese sauce:
Isn’t that adorable! lol
Bolognese is a delicious meaty sauce commonly served with spaghetti. There are many different versions of spaghetti bolognese and the ingredients used tend to vary from cook to cook.
My version of bolognese sauce uses a combination of ground beef and ground pork, various spices, some garlic, onions, celery and carrots simmered in diced and crushed tomatoes. 😋
This recipe is wonderfully savoury and the combinations of spices work very well together. It’s not spicy and the flavours are not overpowering at all, but still very flavourful so it’s a great dish for kids.
My son Donnie, LOVES this sauce and will eat it right up.
You can use any kind of pasta you prefer with this dish, but we like to use a plain old spaghetti 😋❤️
This recipe should be enough to make at least 8 servings, but I like to make extra so I can freeze some and have it on hand for a quick dinner!
1 lb lean ground beef
- 1 lb lean ground pork
3-4 cloves of garlic, minced
2 medium onions, finely chopped
4 ribs celery, finely chopped
2 carrots, finely chopped
- 2 tsp Beef bouillon powder
1/2 tsp basil
1/4 tsp sage flakes
1/2 tsp black pepper
1/4 tsp salt
1/2 tsp oregano
2 bay leaves
- 2 tsp brown sugar
- 1 tsp Balsamic vinegar
- 1 (5.5 oz) can tomato paste
1 (28 oz) can crushed tomatoes
1 (28 oz) can diced tomatoes
- 1 cup milk
- Prepared pasta of your choice – we like spaghetti
- Cook onions and garlic in large skillet or frying pan on medium heat for about 5 minutes until softened.
- Add carrots and celery. Cook to soften – about 10 minutes.
- Add ground beef and ground pork. Stir to combine. Add spices, sugar and boullion. Cook 5 minutes.
- Add tomato paste, stir to combine with meat and seasonings. Cook for about 5 minutes.
- Add crushed tomatoes and diced tomatoes. Stir to combine. Bring to a boil.
- Lower the heat, add milk, stir and let simmer for at least 30 minutes stirring occasionally.
- Serve with cooked pasta of your choice!
- Method: Stove top
- Cuisine: Italian
*This post has been updated from an earlier version to include new photos and a few tweaks to the original recipe to make it even more scrumptious!*