I'm not ashamed to say that I've been on a total ice cream binge these past few weeks.
I mean, how could I not be with all this warm weather? It's like summer just doesn't want to let go or… maybe I just don't want to let go of summer! haha
Last week I shared with you my new pumpkin spice latte ice cream recipe and I'm so happy to hear from so many of you who have already tried it out at home and enjoyed it!! You guys are amazing!! <3
This week I'm following through on the same theme of Fall inspired ice cream – this time I bring you my super delightful homemade Apple Crisp Ice cream!
This recipe creates an irresistible creamy treat with chunks of apple, comforting spices, swirls of delicious apple pie filling and crumbles of oatmeal cookies on top for the “crisp”.
It's just like having apple crisp… but in ice cream form…
and my oh my… is it ever yummy!
This homemade ice cream is so comforting and delicious. It's perfect to serve guests or even just for yourself as a before bed treat – which is exactly what is do! haha
I guarantee once you try apple crisp ice cream, you'll be making it again and again!
psssst… while you're here… If you're looking for more delicious ice cream recipes, be sure to check out this awesome ice cream recipe round up!
- 4 oz cream cheese, room temperature, cut up
- 3/4 cup brown sugar, packed
- pinch of salt
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 cup milk, cold
- 2 cups heavy cream, cold
- 540 ml can of apple pie filling
- 1 1/2 tbsp cinnamon
- 1 1/2 ground nutmeg
- 1 tsp ground allspice
- 8–10 store bought oatmeal cookies (I used Dad's Classic Oatmeal Cookies), crumbled (I put them in a zip top bag and game them a few whacks)
Start by prepping your ingredients:
- Get two bowls out and ready! Open the can of apple pie filling and put the contents into one of the bowls. Using a fork, gently pull out the pieces of apple from the “yummy apple sauce stuff” and drop them into the other bowl. As you separate the apple pieces from the syrup be sure to use a spatula to scrape off any excess off each piece. You should now have a bowl of apple (with some syrup still on) and another bowl with just the apple syrup stuff (should be about 1 cup or so).
- Scoop out the apples and place onto a cutting board – give them a rough chop and put them back into the bowl (use a spatula and don't worry about the mess!). 🙂
- In a small dish, combine the cinnamon, nutmeg and allspice.
- To the bowl of apples, add 2 tsps of the spice mixture you made in step 3. Combine.
- To the bowl of “yummy apple syrup stuff” (lol), add 2 tsps of the spice mixture you made in step 3. Combine.
- Reserve the leftover spices for the next part of the recipe.
- Set aside the apples and syrup until required.
Ice Cream Base
- In a mixing bowl, cream together the cream cheese with the brown sugar. I find that using a pastry blender helps with this or you can use a little elbow grease. ;P
- Add salt, vanilla and the reserved leftover spice from the ingredient prep above. Combine so it's smooth.
- Into the mixing bowl, whisk in milk and heavy cream.
- Pour into your ice cream maker and make according to manufacturer's directions.
- 25 Minutes into churning, Add the apple pieces. Continue churning for 2-5 minutes.
- Scoop the ice cream mixture out of the ice cream maker and into an 9″x9″ metal baking pan.
- Next, using a spoon drop dollops of the “apple syrup stuff” onto the surface of the ice cream. Use a fork or spoon to swirl the syrup into the ice cream. Don't mix it completely – mix it around enough to just make swirls – evenly through out the ice cream. You're making ripples! 😀
- Once you're done swirling the apple syrup, sprinkle crumbled oatmeal cookies over the surface. Using a spoon, gently push the cookies crumbles into the ice cream so they stick (use a spoon or fork – you don't have to use your hands unless you want to lick them after! :p)
- Place the ice cream in the freezer to solidify over night before serving.
- Prep Time: 10 Minutes
- Cook Time: 40 minutes + Time to chill overnight
- Category: Dessert
- Method: Ice Cream Maker