Are you a salsa lover like me?
Digging right into a big bowl of salsa with some crispy crunchy tortilla chips has got to be one of my favorite snacks. Yum yum!
Have you noticed how darn expensive those jars of salsa can cost in the stores?! I've seen small jars that cost just under $5! Crazy, eh?
That just doesn't seem fair to us salsa lovers – especially those of us with families who would gobble down a wheelbarrow full in minutes! lol
Well, salsa lover – you're not going to have to worry about anymore.
I've got you covered – you can make your very own salsa at home for a mere fraction of what you pay for the store bought stuff and I'll show you how. 😀
Introducing my homemade habanero salsa!
I'm not kidding when I tell you it's sooo much cheaper to make your own tasty salsa at home.
This recipe makes about 4 1/2 cups of salsa and costs just under $2.50 to make. That's a whole lotta inexpensive (and tasty) salsa!
This recipe isn't just inexpensive… It's amazingly simple to make and packed with a HUGE amount of flavour!
One of my secrets to making this so tasty, is that I cook and soften the onions and garlic together in a little oil before combining with the rest of the ingredients.
Cooking the onions beforehand removes some of the overwhelming bite that uncooked onions sometimes have when used in recipes. It adds a bit of a gentle sweetness but keeps all the flavour.
For this recipe I used only 1 habanero pepper since they're quite hot. This was just enough to give the salsa a nice mouth warming heat – not over spicy – just perfect. 🙂
If you'd like to add more hot peppers to the salsa, go for it! 😀
Or, if you'd like a mild version, you can make it without the hot peppers and it'll still be super tasty. 🙂
I hope you enjoy this recipe as much as we do!
psssst… while you're here… If you're looking for more delicious salsa recipes, be sure to check out this awesome salsa recipe round up!
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 4 – 5 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1 tbsp cumin
- 2 (20 oz) cans diced tomatoes
- 1 habanero pepper, seeded and ribs removed then chopped finely
- 1 large handful cilantro, chopped
- 2 tbsps lime juice
- 1 tsp salt
- In a medium pot, heat the oil.
- Add the onions and garlic to the pot and stir. Cook for about 5 minutes until the onions soften. Do not let the garlic turn brown though, since this will make a bitter flavor – you don't want that.
- Scrape the onion and garlic from the pot and into a mixing bowl.
- Into the mixing bowl add all the remaining ingredients. Combine well.
- Cover the mixing bowl with plastic wrap and chill in the fridge for at least 20 minutes.
- Serve with tortilla chips.
I recommend wearing disposable gloves when you chop the habanero pepper to prevent accidentally getting any of the spiciness in places you don't want it! ex. eyes
You're welcome to add more habanero peppers to this recipe if you'd like it spicier! 😀
Looking for more delicious Salsa recipes?
Click on the image below for more Salsa recipes!