- 1 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 4 – 5 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1 tbsp cumin
- 2 (20 oz) cans diced tomatoes
- 1 habanero pepper, seeded and ribs removed then chopped finely
- 1 large handful cilantro, chopped
- 2 tbsps lime juice
- 1 tsp salt
- In a medium pot, heat the oil.
- Add the onions and garlic to the pot and stir. Cook for about 5 minutes until the onions soften. Do not let the garlic turn brown though, since this will make a bitter flavor – you don’t want that.
- Scrape the onion and garlic from the pot and into a mixing bowl.
- Into the mixing bowl add all the remaining ingredients. Combine well.
- Cover the mixing bowl with plastic wrap and chill in the fridge for at least 20 minutes.
- Serve with tortilla chips.
I recommend wearing disposable gloves when you chop the habanero pepper to prevent accidentally getting any of the spiciness in places you don’t want it! ex. eyes
You’re welcome to add more habanero peppers to this recipe if you’d like it spicier! 😀
- Prep Time: 25 mins
- Cook Time: 5 mins