Now that the weather has been getting colder we've been craving more warm hearty meals. Shepherd's pie is one of those traditional classic dinners that really hits the spot.
The kitchen smelled so good as everything was simmering in the skillet! This is a simple recipe to prepare – just make sure you have all your ingredients set up and ready to go before you start cooking.
If you've made any mashed potatoes the day before you could use that as a topping for your shepherd's pie. This recipe is great for when you want to use up leftover potatoes. You could also change it up a bit and add some different veggies to the beef mixture if you like. Chopped carrots would work in this as well.
Another awesome thing about shepherd's pie is that it's quite a frugal meal! The ingredients are usually cheap and you might already have some of them on hand already!
Please try this recipe out and let me know what you think! 🙂 Please find the recipe below.
Easy Sheperd’s Pie
- Total Time: 1 hour 10 minutes
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 lbs ground beef
- 1–2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 cups beef stock
- 1 beef bullion (reduced salt kind if you can find it)
- ½ tsp thyme
- 1 tsp sage
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 cup frozen peas
- 1 cup frozen corn
- 2 tsp Worcestershire Sauce
- 2 tbsp flour
- ½ cup water
For the potato topping:
- 2–3 lbs potatoes, peeled
- 1 tbsp butter
- ½ cup milk
- Dash of paprika
- Peel potatoes and boil in a pot until they are cooked through.
- Mash ingredients (except paprika) under “For the potato topping” together and set aside. (Note: I like to whip my potatoes in the stand mixer)
- Preheat the oven to 400°F
- Brown the ground beef in a large skillet and drain any excess grease.
- Add to the skillet along with the beef; onions, thyme, sage and salt and pepper. Cook this on medium low until the onions soften. Add the minced garlic and combine.
- Add the veggies (corn, peas, etc) and cook until heated through.
- Pour in the beef stock and add the beef bullion and Worcestershire Sauce. Combine well and cook at medium.
- In a small bowl combine the flour and reserved water until there are no lumps.
- Bring the contents of the skillet to a boil. Turn down the heat to low and add the flour and water mixture. Combine well.
- Cook the beef mixture in the skillet until the gravy thickens up. The longer it cooks, the more it will thicken. This will depend on how much moisture is in the ingredients.
- Pour the meat mixture into an 8×10 oven safe casserole dish.
- Now spread the mashed potatoes over the beef in the baking dish. Try to make sure the potatoes are spread evenly.
- Next, you can make little ridges on the top of the potatoes using a fork if you like. This will make the top look pretty once it comes out of the oven. Now you can sprinkle some paprika over the potatoes for some color.
- Place the dish into the oven (uncovered) for about 35 min or until the top looks slightly golden.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 1 hour
- Category: Main
- Method: Stove top