So, what do you do when you have a bunch of leftover rice? You have a couple of choices.
1. Eat it as it is
2. Make it into something new and awesome!
Well, when I recently had a whole pile of delicious basmati rice leftover from a previous meal, I decided to make it into something new.
What I came up with was a super easy side dish you can put together in just 15 minutes – easy Curry Fried Rice! 😀
This tasty side dish happened one day when I just wasn't feeling like cooking a whole fancy pants dinner for everyone. lol
To turn this side dish into a lovely meal, I served it with some baked chicken breasts and a salad. Everyone loved it and I didn't have to put much work into dinner, so it was very much a WIN! 😀
This recipe is great for using up any leftover rice you may have and the flavours are wonderful!
The curry powder, garlic and other seasonings make this a warm and exciting side. It isn't really a spicy dish though, so if you're not sure about the heat level, don't worry – my son (3 year old) enjoyed it. 🙂
If you're a fan of spicyness, you could try using different types of curry powder or add a pinch of chili powder to kick it up another notch!
I hope you enjoy this recipe as much as we do!
If you try it, please let me know in the comments section below – I'd love to hear from you! 😀
- 3 cups cooked basmati rice
- 1 1/2 tbsp cooking oil
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 1/2 cup frozen peas, thawed
- 2 tbsp curry powder
- 1/2 tsp salt (you can adjust this to taste)
- 1/4 tsp garam masala
- 1 large handful of cilantro, chopped
- 1/2 cup water
- In a large frying pan, heat the oil on medium heat.
- Cook the onion and garlic in the oil for a couple of minutes until softened,
- Add the curry powder, salt and garam masala to the pan and still well to coat the onions.
- Add the peas to the pan and cook for a couple minutes so that they are coated in the seasonings.
- Turn down the heat to LOW.
- Add the water to the pan and stir so that the seasonings and all are wet.
- Add the cooked rice to the pan and stir to combine with the seasonings.
- Add the chopped cilantro to the pan, stir and remove from heat.
- Serve as a side to go along with whatever other yummy dish you're having! 😀
- Category: Side