Comfort food has obviously got to be one of my most favorite obsessions… surprise surprise, eh? ?
Part of that obsession involves biting into a nice crispy crunchy chicken cutlet served on a bun with some lettuce, mayo and all the fixings to make a tasty chicken burger.
Chicken burgers have always been one of my favorite go to sandwiches but I was getting tired of using the same old frozen ones that you buy at the store. I mean most of the time the store-bought ones are quite tasty…… I was looking for something that had a little bit more personality.
And this chicken cutlet recipe has got the personality to win over anyone!
Making your own delicious crispy chicken cutlets at home is very easy…
First, start out by putting your chicken breasts inside a large zip top bag. I like to also put on a nice pair of rubber gloves so I feel like I'm all professional and such.. ? you can too if you like!
Using a good old-fashioned meat tenderizer, I flatten the chicken breasts so that they're about 1/4″ thick. If you don't have a mallet or meat tenderizer, you can also use a rolling pin or even the bottom of a heavy mug. Flattening out the chicken breasts allows them to cook a lot faster and more evenly.
Once you flattened out your chicken breasts, mix together a combination of dry breadcrumbs, parmesan cheese, Italian seasoning mix and some salt-and-pepper. The Parmesan cheese mixed with the herbs and dried breadcrumbs gives these chicken cutlets a wicked amazing flavor.
If you like, you can also try adding some of your own favorite seasonings to change things up a bit. If you like spicy flavors you might even want to consider adding some paprika or a pinch of cayenne for little kick. If you do try your own spice combo, please let me know in the comments below what you did so I can try too! ❤️
Next, you're going to dip your chicken into a mixture of milk and egg then drop them into the breadcrumbs so that each piece is completely coated. You may want to pat down the breadcrumbs with your hands to make sure the chicken cutlets are evenly coated.
Once your chicken cutlets are coated in the breadcrumb mixture it's time to fry them up!
When frying these beautiful golden cutlets, please make sure to leave plenty of room between each one so that they fry evenly. I found that it works best when I fried two cutlets at a time in the pan. As each chicken cutlet finishes cooking place them on top of wire rack on a baking sheet to drain. I find it's best to do it this way rather than lay the cutlets directly on top of paper towel directly because they will lose some of the crispiness. And no sir we don't want to lose any of that crispiness! ?
And there you have it! Some of the most delicious chicken cutlets that you ever could imagine feasting upon!
These chicken cutlets are also spectacular when used in chicken Parmesan. OM NOM NOM! ?
- 5 boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 1/2 cup dry seasoned breadcrumbs (I use Italian style bread crumbs)
- 1/4 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 1 tbsp Italian seasoning mix
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup milk
- Canola oil to fry the cutlets, enough to fill large frying pan up to 1″
- Begin by patting the chicken breasts dry using paper towel.
- Place each chicken breast in a. large zip lock bag and pound it flat (about 1/4″ thick) using a rolling pin or cooking mallet.
- Set the chicken on a large plate or chopping board and season with salt and pepper on both sides.
- In a wide dish (such as a pie plate), combine breadcrumbs, Italian seasoning, and parmesan cheese.
- In a bowl, beat the egg and milk.
- One at a time, dip the chicken breasts in the egg mixture and then into the breadcrumb mixture. Make sure that all surfaces are covered so none of the chicken inside is showing. Once you bread each piece of chicken, make sure to pat any of the leftover crumbs from the dish into any spots missing crumbs. Set aside each cutlet on a plate until ready to fry.
- In a large frying pan, heat the canola oil to 375°F. Drop 2 cutlets into the pan to fry, giving them plenty of space to do their thing. Fry for about 5 minutes, then flip the cutlet over using tongs to do the other side for another 5 minutes. Do this with each cutlet.
- Place each cutlet to drain on top of a wire cooling rack over a baking sheet lined with paper towel.
- Serve with whatever you like but I must say these make for some amazing chicken burgers!
- Category: Main
- Method: Fry
- Cuisine: American/Canadian