In my last post I mentioned that I found a crazy amount of ground beef stocked away in my freezer. I've got to use it up so I'm planning to have a bunch of taco Tuesdays. We LOVE tacos so this will work out splendidly for us but we can't just eat tacos, not matter how much we enjoy them.. so…
In addition to making tacos I've made this classic meatloaf recipe and it sure is delicious!
This recipe is dedicated to all those ketchup and meatloaf lovers out there. 🙂
Meatloaf has got to be one of my most favorite ways to use ground beef. 🙂
I remember having meatloaf so many times as a kid. Yes, I was one of those weird kids who really really enjoyed my meatloaf. lol My mother and my grandmother both made wonderful meatloaves and anytime it was placed on the table it would be gobbled up so fast.
Since growing into adulthood and having to feed my own little family, I've been making my own version of meatloaf based on what I used to have as a kid. I'm quite proud of this one. 🙂
This is based on the traditional classic meatloaf recipe – you know, the one with all that ketchup?
I'd like to think I'm a ketchup connoisseur – I could put that stuff on anything. My grandfather would give me funny looks and question my sanity when I'd put it on mashed potatoes… but that's another story.. haha
Meatloaf and ketchup are like the perfect marriage of yumminess!
Please try out my recipe below and let me know how it turns out for you. 😀Print
- 2 ½ lbs lean ground beef
- ¼ cup grated onion
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2/3 cup Italian style bread crumbs
- 1 tsp salt
- ½ tsp pepper
- ½ tsp basil
- ¼ cup Worcestershire sauce
- ½ cup ketchup
- 1 tsp oregano
- ¼ tsp ground sage
- ½ tsp garlic powder
- 2 eggs
- ½ cup ketchup
- 1 tsp Worcestershire sauce
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Combine the ingredients for the topping in a small bowl and set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl combine all ingredients. Everything should be evenly incorporated. I find that it’s easiest to combine the ingredients using you hands.
- Onto a foil lined baking sheet form the ground beef mixture into the shape of a loaf.
- Place into the oven uncovered and bake for 35 minutes.
- Coat the top of the meatloaf with the topping mixture and bake for an additional 20 – 25 minutes.
- Once cooked, remove from the oven and allow to rest for 5 minutes before serving.
- Serve slices of the meatloaf with your favorite side and vegetables.
- Prep Time: 10 mins
- Cook Time: 55 mins
- Category: Main
- Method: Bake in Oven
- Cuisine: American/Canadian