Recently, I had the opportunity to play a little trick on my son by giving him this “decadent” parfait. Normally I'm not playing deceptive tricks on my son but in this case I just had to. 🙂
You see, this sinful looking dessert that looks a lot like something you might get at an ice cream shop has a secret ingredient… and it's healthy!
You might know from some of my previous posts that my son has become increasingly picky when it comes to trying something new or something with an unfamiliar texture. This makes it very difficult at times to make sure he's getting all the healthy nutrients he needs as a growing boy.
He sure can put up a fight! lol
Well, I captured Donnie's reaction to my sneaky little trick and there was no fight.
The secret ingredient is cottage cheese!
I created this super delicious treat using the new Nordica Smooth Cottage Cheese from Gay Lea and LOVE that it has all the benefits of regular cottage cheese, without the lumpy texture.
Personally, I've always been a fan of cottage cheese, but I know there are a lot of others out there who don't feel the same.
We tried each of the flavours available (Vanilla Bean, Salted Caramel and Lemon) and they all taste amazing – seriously!
When we saw the package we knew it would be smooth and creamy, but we were still surprised when we opened up a container to try for ourselves.
These delightful little containers must be filled with some kind of magic. Honestly, what's inside seems more like a rich Greek yogurt, pudding or even a soft ice cream!
I would highly recommend giving these a try if you have a picky eater in your home. Try adding some to any smoothie, shake, cake or muffins for a guilt-free enhancement – each 100g serving contains only 110 calories!
What really surprised me was that each serving packs whopping 10g of protein! That amounts to 25% more protein that the leading Greek yogurts.
Those are some healthy secrets I can live with – especially if my son gobbles it up. 😀
You could also try pairing it with your favorite toppings or even make your own Chocolate & Salted Caramel Parfait like I did.
But honestly, these little lovelies would make a convenient, light snack anytime just as they are without all the additions. 🙂
Currently, Nordica Smooth is only available in Ontario at most major grocery stores. These things are amazing so I hope they become widely available!
Please check out my recipe below!
- 1 container Gay Lea Nordica Smooth Cottage Cheese, Salted Caramel flavour
- 1 or 2 Ladyfinger cookies, or other kind you prefer
- Whipped cream – I used a homemade sugar free kind
- Chocolate sauce, store bought or homemade
- Sprinkles – I used crushed toffee bits but you can you any kind you prefer
- Into a small bowl or dish, spoon half of the Nordica Smooth Cottage Cheese. Spread it out so that it covers the bottom of the dish.
- Drizzle a little chocolate sauce onto the bottom layer. The amount used depends on your preference.
- Over top of the chocolate sauce, spread the remaining Nordic Smooth Cottage Cheese.
- Stick the ladyfinger cookies into the dish a shown in the image.
- Add a little bit of whipped cream on top and sprinkle with the toffee bits.
You can vary the amounts of the ingredients depending on your tastes. 🙂
- Prep Time: 5 mins
- Category: Dessert
Disclosure: I am part of the Gay Lea Nordica Smooth Cottage Cheese Campaign and I receive special perks as part of my affiliation with this group. The opinions on this blog are my own.
How would you try Nordica Smooth Cottage Cheese?
I'd love to hear from you so please feel free to leave a comment in the comment section below!