- 9” pie crust – baked and cooled (You can use the frozen store bought kind or your own)
- 1 1/2 cups white sugar
- 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 3/4 cups milk
- 1/4 cup cornstarch
- 1/4 cup milk (for mixing with the cornstarch)
- 1 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 4 egg yolks, beaten
- 1 tbsp butter
- 2 cups (or more if you like!) frozen whipped topping, thawed
- Chocolate sprinkles
- Before starting, you’ll need to bake your pie crust according to the directions on the box or whatever recipe you’re using (soon I’ll be posting my recipe for pie crust!).
Prepare the Chocolate Pudding Filling
- Heat 2 3/4 cups milk, sugar, cocoa powder, salt and vanilla in a medium sauce pot on the stove. Heat for 5-6 minutes on medium heat, constantly stirring until ingredients are dissolved and mixed. Turn down the heat to allow it to simmer.
- In a small dish or measuring cup, using a fork or small whisk combine the cornstarch with the 1/4 cup milk. There should be no lumps.
- Pour the cornstarch mixture into pot and stir well with a whisk. Turn the heat up to medium and allow it to thicken up. Make sure you stir frequently.
- Turn off the heat and remove the saucepan from the burner.
- Slowly pour the egg mixture into the pot and stir quickly while the egg yolks cook.
- Add the butter and allow to melt – stir and combine.
- Allow the mixture to cool for a few minutes and then pour into the baked pie shell.
- Allow to cool to room temperature then add the whipped topping and sprinkles.
- Place in the fridge to chill overnight before serving.
This recipes is best served chilled. If the pie sits out at room temperature for too long, it won’t hold it’s shape when you slice it.
- Category: Dessert