Precious, precious chocolate…
Is there anything more wonderful? …maybe winning a couple million dollars in the lottery! Lol 😉
Well, since most of us are probably going to have to wait a while before we win the lottery, I wanted to give you the next best thing.
These chocolate crackle bars are so yummy you’re going to feel like a million bucks!
I created this recipe when I was craving something really rich and really chocolatey… But I also wanted to have a little bit of a crunch… You know, like the subtle little kind of crunch that you get with meringue topping on a tasty lemon pie?
But with chocolate! ?
Delicious crackly chocolate meringue on top of an irresistibly silky layer of rich moist chocolate. MMMMMmmmmm!
It's almost a cookie and almost a brownie… but not quite… some might say it's a brookie.
Whatever it is… it's some good! <3
I started by mixing together some basic ingredients such as cocoa, all purpose flour, brown sugar, baking powder, a little salt, some butter and a couple egg yolks. This created nice crumbly mixture that made for a perfect firm but oh so chocolatey bottom for my creation.
To mix it up just right, I decided to ditch the spoon and mix it up with my hands. Food needs love so don’t be afraid to touch it! lol 😀
I then pressed the bottom layer for the chocolate squares into a 9″ x 9” metal baking pan.
That gorgeous and magical top layer was created by mixing brown sugar with some cocoa and 2 large egg whites. I mixed this on high using an electric mixer until it started to fluff up a little and look slightly creamy.
Mixing the egg whites with the sugar and cocoa on high speed is important for creating that beautiful crackly chocolate top that you see in the photos here. ?
After the top layer was added and spread evenly on top, I placed it in the oven to bake for about 25 minutes.
… and let me tell you, the smell of this baking was heavenly! <3
Once they finished in the oven, I allowed them to cool to room temperature before I cutting them then set them into pieces. I then set them to chill in the fridge for about an hour.
Take a bite of one of these babies and you'll understand why I say you'll feel like a million bucks!
Rich, satisfying and oooh so yummy…
Chocolate Crackle Bars
- Total Time: 40 minutes
- Yield: 20 - 25 Squares 1x
- 1 1/4 cups all purpose flour
- 1/4 cup cocoa
- 1/2 cup brown sugar, packed
- 1/2 cup butter (1 stick), room temperature
- 2 egg yolks (use large eggs)
- 1 tsp baking bowder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 2 egg whites
- 1 cup brown sugar, packed
- 2 tbsp cocoa
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- You will need a 9″ x 9″ metal baking pan for this. Do not grease the pan – there's enough butter in the recipe to help it unstick on it's own! 😀 If you like you can line the pan with parchment paper.
- Begin by combining the dry ingredients in a medium mixing bowl. Use a whisk to make sure everything is evenly distributed.
- Next add the egg yolks and softened butter and combine. The mixture is supposed to be crumbly so you may have to work if with your hands a little if a mixing spoon isn't doing the job. 🙂
- Press the crumbly mixture evenly and firmly into the bottom of the 9″ x 9″ baking pan.
- Begin by combining the brown sugar with the cocoa using a whisk. Make sure everything is evenly distributed.
- Next, add the eggs whites and mix using an electric mixer. Start on a slow speed then once they eggs are combined turn the mixer on high and beat the heck out of it! 😉 lol
- Continue to mix until the ingredients look slightly fluffy and look creamier. If you want that crackly top you see in the pictures, please make sure not to skip this part. It takes like 2-3 minutes.
- Pour the mixture over top of the bottom layer in the metal baking pan. Spread it evenly over the bottom layer.
Finish this yumminess!
- Place into the oven to bake for 25-28 minutes.
- Allow to cool to room temperature (still in the pan).
- Slice into squares. I cut mine into 20, but you can cut them smaller or bigger if you like.
- To make these extra tasty, I recommend chilling the in the fridge for an hour or so. They taste amazing at room temperature or chilled – it's up to you! 😀
When cutting the squares, I recommend dipping your knife into some hot water and wiping it with a paper towel before making each cut. This will help you make clean slices and help prevent all that yumminess from sticking to your knife. 🙂
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 25 minutes
- Category: Dessert
- Method: Baking