- 1 1/4 cups all purpose flour
- 1/4 cup cocoa
- 1/2 cup brown sugar, packed
- 1/2 cup butter (1 stick), room temperature
- 2 egg yolks (use large eggs)
- 1 tsp baking bowder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 2 egg whites
- 1 cup brown sugar, packed
- 2 tbsp cocoa
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- You will need a 9″ x 9″ metal baking pan for this. Do not grease the pan – there’s enough butter in the recipe to help it unstick on it’s own! 😀 If you like you can line the pan with parchment paper.
- Begin by combining the dry ingredients in a medium mixing bowl. Use a whisk to make sure everything is evenly distributed.
- Next add the egg yolks and softened butter and combine. The mixture is supposed to be crumbly so you may have to work if with your hands a little if a mixing spoon isn’t doing the job. 🙂
- Press the crumbly mixture evenly and firmly into the bottom of the 9″ x 9″ baking pan.
- Begin by combining the brown sugar with the cocoa using a whisk. Make sure everything is evenly distributed.
- Next, add the eggs whites and mix using an electric mixer. Start on a slow speed then once they eggs are combined turn the mixer on high and beat the heck out of it! 😉 lol
- Continue to mix until the ingredients look slightly fluffy and look creamier. If you want that crackly top you see in the pictures, please make sure not to skip this part. It takes like 2-3 minutes.
- Pour the mixture over top of the bottom layer in the metal baking pan. Spread it evenly over the bottom layer.
Finish this yumminess!
- Place into the oven to bake for 25-28 minutes.
- Allow to cool to room temperature (still in the pan).
- Slice into squares. I cut mine into 20, but you can cut them smaller or bigger if you like.
- To make these extra tasty, I recommend chilling the in the fridge for an hour or so. They taste amazing at room temperature or chilled – it’s up to you! 😀
When cutting the squares, I recommend dipping your knife into some hot water and wiping it with a paper towel before making each cut. This will help you make clean slices and help prevent all that yumminess from sticking to your knife. 🙂
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 25 minutes
- Category: Dessert
- Method: Baking