Chicken enchiladas are one of my favorite Mexican foods and I just love how the flavours of each ingredient dance together so perfectly. 🙂
Today, I'm sharing with you my recipe for Chicken Enchilada Casserole and it sure is tasty!
It has become a family favorite for us and once you try it, you'll understand why! 😀
This is another one of those recipes my son just can't get enough of. When I set this on the table, you don't have to tell him twice to come to dinner! He's there quick as a flash and finishes every bite – I sooooo love when that happens! 😀
Another great thing about this recipe is how simple it really is to put together.
It's layered very similarly to a lasagna, but we're using Mexican inspired ingredients like tortillas instead of pasta sheets. I just love doing this to change things up!
First you start with a layer of enchilada sauce on the bottom of the baking dish, then the tortillas are placed on on. Add more sauce…
then create layers of all that tasty chicken and veggie filling – oh and don't forget the cheese!
Now you just have to put it in the oven to bake and you're all set. 🙂
Your tasty creation should come out of the oven looking something like this…
I hope you enjoy this recipe as much as we do!
I'd love to hear from you so please feel free to leave me a comment in the comment section below the recipe! 😀
Chicken Enchilada Casserole
- Total Time: 1 hour
- Yield: 8 Servings 1x
- 5 chicken breasts, cooked and shredded
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 5 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tbsp cooking oil
- 2 tsp cumin
- 1 1/2 tsp taco seasoning (use more if you like)
- 1 cup sour cream
- A hand full of cilantro, chopped
- 1 cup frozen corn, thawed
- 1 cup red pepper, chopped
- 1 cup yellow pepper, chopped
- 1 cup sliced black olives (you can use canned)
- 1 cup canned black beans, drained and rinced
- 2 1/4 cups enchilada sauce OR 2 – 10 oz (296 ml) cans of store bought enchilada sauce
- 3 green onions, chopped
- 3 1/2 cups cheese (I used mozzarella since this is what I had on hand but you can try a Mexican blend or whichever kind your prefer)
- 10 – 10” flour tortillas (you can use corn tortillas if you'd like)
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- In a large frying pan or skillet, heat up the cooking oil.
- Add the onion and garlic to the oil and cook until softened – about 5 minutes.
- Add the shredded chicken to the pan and mix in 1/2 cup of the enchilada sauce, cumin and the taco seasoning.
- Turn the heat down a bit. Stir around the ingredients and cook for a few minutes.
- Remove the pan from heat and add the sour cream. Mix well with the chicken – set aside.
- Prepare a 9″x13″ glass casserole dish by spreading a small amount of enchilada sauce on the bottom (a couple tablespoons).
- Cut the tortillas in half to ensure they fit into the dish properly.
- Lay the tortillas in the dish on top of the enchilada sauce as shown in the pictures of this post. Flat sides towards the edges of the dish.
- On top of the tortillas, spread some more enchilada sauce.
- On top of this, spread half of the prepared chicken mixture.
- In a mixing bowl, combine the beans, peppers, 3/4 of the cilantro, corn and olives.
- On top of the chicken, sprinkle half of the ingredients from the mixing bowl.
- Now sprinkle 1 cup of cheese over the veggies.
- Over this, create another layer of tortillas.
- Over top of this spread some of the enchilada sauce.
- Repeat the layering process one more time in this order: Chicken, veggies, cheese.
- Now place one last layer of tortillas and spread the remaining enchilada sauce on top.
- Sprinkle with the remaining cheese.
- Place into the oven to bake for 45 minutes.
- Once the casserole is finished and removed from the oven, sprinkle the top with green onions and remaining 1/4 cup cilantro.
- Allow the casserole dish to sit for about 5 minutes before serving.
- Cut into squares and enjoy! 😀
- Prep Time: 10 mins
- Cook Time: 50 mins
- Category: Main
- Cuisine: Mexican