*This post has been updated from an earlier version to include new photos and a few tweaks to the original recipe to make it even more scrumptious!*
The cold weather of fall is starting to make an appearance so that means it's also the beginning of soup season. Making a delicious homemade soup from scratch is a great way to use up any veggies or ingredients you might have on hand AND it's much easier than you might think!
One of my most favourite soups is broccoli cheese soup, so I thought I would share with you my version of the recipe!
There's something so warm and comforting about soup that just makes a person just feel great! Add some cheese and it can only get better, right? 😀
In this house we're big fans of anything cheese related – as you have probably noticed from some of my other recipes. If you're also a cheese fan, I know you'll be bringing out those soup pots and making this yourself!
In this recipe I used sharp aged cheddar cheese but really, you could use any cheese that suits your taste. The base flavours for the soup are created by softening up some garlic and onions in melted butter before adding the other ingredients.
A little bit of salt and pepper in addition to the cheese, milk, chicken broth and broccoli are really the only other flavours that you need to make this an amazingly flavorful soup!
Feel free to experiment with adding some other herbs to the soup if you like – some thyme might be nice!
This broccoli cheddar soup tastes wonderful with some additional sprinkled cheese on top and with some nice crusty bread on the side. 🙂
Like I've said before, part of the goal of my site is to help inspire you to make your own delicious home cooked meals so if you do your own thing inspired by this recipe, go for it!Print
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1/4 cup all purpose flour
- 2/3 cup onions, chopped
- 3 cloves of garlic, minced
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 4 cups milk
- 4 cups shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 4 1/2 cups broccoli, chopped
- 1/4 tsp salt
- Pepper, to taste
- In a large soup pot melt the butter.
- Cook the onions and garlic in the butter until they are softened.
- Quickly whisk the flour and salt together with the butter, onions and garlic. It should become almost like a paste.
- Pour in the milk and chicken broth. Whisk together and bring to a boil. The soup should thicken up a bit as you continue to whisk.
- Turn down the heat and add the shredded cheese. Continue to mix using the whisk.
- Add the broccoli to the pot. Cook for about 10 minutes until the broccoli is tender.
- Season with additional salt and some pepper to taste.
- At this point I like to remove about half of the broccoli from the pot and use my stick blender to process the soup a bit. Only a couple minutes of blending will do the job – this will help keep the texture of the soup nice and creamy and incorporate the broccoli a bit. If you don't have a hand/stick blender that's ok – you can also do this using a food processor or just a typical blender (you might have to blend portions in part if your equipment won't hold a whole pot of soup! no worries though!). Add the soup back to the pot and warm on low.
- After the soup reaches the desired creaminess, add the broccoli chunks you removed back to the pot.
- Serve with some sprinkles of cheese on top and some crusty bread on the side. 🙂
- Category: Soup
- Method: Stove top
- Cuisine: American/Canadian