- 1/4 cup butter
- 1/4 cup all purpose flour
- 2/3 cup onions, chopped
- 3 cloves of garlic, minced
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 4 cups milk
- 4 cups shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 4 1/2 cups broccoli, chopped
- 1/4 tsp salt
- Pepper, to taste
- In a large soup pot melt the butter.
- Cook the onions and garlic in the butter until they are softened.
- Quickly whisk the flour and salt together with the butter, onions and garlic. It should become almost like a paste.
- Pour in the milk and chicken broth. Whisk together and bring to a boil. The soup should thicken up a bit as you continue to whisk.
- Turn down the heat and add the shredded cheese. Continue to mix using the whisk.
- Add the broccoli to the pot. Cook for about 10 minutes until the broccoli is tender.
- Season with additional salt and some pepper to taste.
- At this point I like to remove about half of the broccoli from the pot and use my stick blender to process the soup a bit. Only a couple minutes of blending will do the job – this will help keep the texture of the soup nice and creamy and incorporate the broccoli a bit. If you don’t have a hand/stick blender that’s ok – you can also do this using a food processor or just a typical blender (you might have to blend portions in part if your equipment won’t hold a whole pot of soup! no worries though!). Add the soup back to the pot and warm on low.
- After the soup reaches the desired creaminess, add the broccoli chunks you removed back to the pot.
- Serve with some sprinkles of cheese on top and some crusty bread on the side. 🙂
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 25 minutes
- Category: Soup
- Method: Stove top
- Cuisine: American/Canadian