I swear that whenever something's wrapped in bacon it becomes as valuable as gold.
Really though… I've had friends and family try to barter with me to make them this recipe for BBQ bacon wrapped shrimp! 🙂
If you have a love for bacon, shrimp and the flavors of barbecue, you're going to LOVE today's recipe!
This recipe is super easy to make and only calls for a few basic ingredients so it’s a breeze to make. This is especially true when you’re running low on time and need to put together something quick for a get-together or party. These babies take only about 20 minutes to make!
Honestly though, you’re probably not going want to wait for a special occasion to make them.
Make them right now!
Yes this very minute!
Just look at those succulent shrimp all wrapped up and cozy inside their bacon blankies… so cute you can't help but pounce on them! :p
What makes these bacon wrapped shrimp so special is that instead of opting for your typical size shrimp, I decided to use the biggest shrimp that I could possibly find in the grocery store.
I mean these things were huge! I’m not sure if you can tell from the pictures in this post by each shrimp was about the size of the bottom of a coffee mug!
Using giant shrimp for this recipe works very well since it gives a lot more space to wrap those juicy strips of bacon. You know that means?
More deliciousness in every bite…
There been many times that I’ve made this recipe as the meat portion to go along with dinner – no need to save them as an appetizer for a special occasion!
I hope you enjoy this recipe as much is we do here at home. Please let me know if you give them a try – I’d love to hear what kind of barbecue sauce you used and how you made it your own!
- 11 slices bacon (I used maple flavor but you can try other flavours too!)
- 1/2 cup BBQ sauce – use any kind you like but I find it tastes best when you use something bold and smokey, like this one. 🙂
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tbsp Cajun seasoning – Try my recipe fo homemade Cajun seasoning!
- 1/8 tsp ground black pepper
- 1 lb of Colossal Shrimp (about 11 shrimps) – get the biggest ones you can find! If frozen, thaw before starting.
Equipment/Stuff you'll need:
- large cookie sheet lined with aluminum foil
- wire baking rack placed on top of the cookie sheet
- Pre-heat the oven to 375°F.
- Peel and devein the shrimps but leave the tails on.
- In a bowl, combine the Cajun seasoning, garlic powder and black pepper.
- Drop the shrimp in the bowl and coat each shrimp with the seasoning mixture.
- Tightly wrap a slice of bacon around each shrimp, leaving a bit of the tail exposed. Secure with a toothpick.
- Using 1/4 cup of the BBQ sauce, brush each bacon wrapped shrimp so that everything is coated.
- Place each shrimp on the wire baking rack on the cookie sheet.
- Place into the oven and allow to cook 16 – 20 minutes. Flip them half way through and brush each side with the remaining BBQ sauce. Keep an eye on them as they cook – you can pull them out when you see the bacon crisp up.
- Once they're done cooking, you can brush them with more BBQ sauce if you like!
- Serve as an appetizer or even with dinner! Shrimp it up! 😀
If you'd like, you can also set the oven to broil in the last couple minutes of cooking. This crisps up things a bit and makes the barbecue sauce nice and sticky. 🙂
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 20 minutes
- Category: Appetizer
- Method: Oven baked