This delicious basil pesto chicken salad sandwich with sun-dried tomatoes is a perfect, no-fuss meal that you can quickly make in minutes! Filled with zesty flavors and good-for-you ingredients, this sandwich is sure to become your new go-to lunch. Not only is it healthy and flavorful, but also incredibly easy to prepare – what more could you ask for?
I don't know about you, but I'm extremely relieved that the warmer weather is starting to return. It was starting to feel like the winter was keeping us hostage! lol
When spring and summer hit, I usually don't like to cook big meals that heat up the kitchen too much.
This basil pesto chicken salad sandwich with sun-dried tomatoes makes for a simple lunch without much effort at all!
This is a great sandwich that can be made by using up leftover chicken from a previous meal. I cut up some grilled chicken breasts we had leftover from the night before but you could also use the meat from a rotisserie chicken.
I used some of my homemade basil pesto in this recipe, but you can also use store bought if you'd like. The rest of the ingredients used to make this were something I already had on hand so I didn't have to go out and buy anything special.
Basil pesto is one of my favorite most favorite fresh flavors and it tastes AMAZING added to chicken salad!
For this recipe, I used about 1/4 cup of basil pesto but you can certainly use more if you'd like. I love pesto so I really think you can never have too much! 😀
Swiss cheese slices, sun-dried tomatoes, and some baby spinach leaves taste perfect with the pesto chicken salad, but I'm sure it would be awesome with any number of different ingredients depending on your tastes. You could try this rolled up in a wrap or in a pita pocket too!
I hope you enjoy this recipe!
- 4 Foccacia buns
- 1/4 cup + 1 tbsp basil pesto (you can use my basil pesto recipe or use store bought)
- 1/2 cup light mayonnaise
- 4 cups cooked chicken breast, cubed (you can shred the chicken too if you prefer)
- Pinch of pepper
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- Baby Spinach
- Swiss cheese, slices
- Sun dried tomatoes pack in oil, sliced
- Combine mayonnaise, pesto, lemon juice and pepper using a whisk.
- Add cooked chicken to the mayo/pesto mix and combine.
- Put this in a container in the fridge for at least 1 hour before serving so that the flavors develop.
- Slice the buns horizontally and lay down a bed of baby spinach leaves in desired amount.
- Top spinach leaves with basil pesto chicken salad.
- Add slices of sun-dried tomato on top of the pesto chicken.
- Top with swiss cheese and the top of the bun.
- Serve and enjoy! 😀