- 2 lbs boneless skinless chicken thighs, cut into 2 strips each
- 4–5 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 stock of lemongrass
Only use the bottom white part – discard the outer hard layer, then chop roughly. Mince in a food processor
- 1” fresh ginger, minced/grated
- ¾ cup coconut milk
- ¼ cup soy sauce
- 3 tbsps brown sugar
- ½ tsp turmeric
- ½ tsp cumin
- ½ tsp coriander
- ½ tsp curry powder
- ¼ tsp crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 tbsp fish sauce
- juice of 1 lime
- wooden skewers, presoaked in water for a few hours
The amounts for this section are up to you! I like to prepare a whole lot of extras to sprinkle on my satay skewers!
- red Thai chili, thinly sliced
- fresh cilantro, roughly chopped
- red onion, thinly sliced
- chopped/crushed peanuts
- lime wedges, for sprinkling over the skewers
- Thai Peanut sauce – This is a must have along with your chicken Satay skewers!
Create the Marinade and Prepare the Chicken
- Combine all the ingredients for the marinade. I find the easiest way to prepare the marinade is to use a food processor. I start with processing the garlic, lemongrass and fresh ginger, then add the remaining ingredients and pulse until combined.
- Combine the chicken with the marinade (in a zip lock baggie or other air tight container) and allow to chill for at least 4 hours or overnight.
- Once the chicken has marinated, push the pieces of chicken onto the skewers (I like to do a zig zag pattern with the chicken). Set aside until ready to cook. Discard any unused marinade.
To cook Chicken Satay on a Grill
This is my preferred and recommended method for cooking chicken satay.
I like to cook my satay skewers on my indoor grill/panini press, but you can also grill them on your BBQ.
To Cook Chicken Satay in the Oven
How to Cook Satay in Frying pan/Stove Top
- Heat a large skillet over medium heat with 2 tablespoons of vegetable oil, add the marinated chicken skewers onto the skillet and fry for four minutes per side, or until cooked through.
To Serve Chicken Satay:
- Once your chicken satay has finished cooking, brush each skewer with a little peanut sauce while still warm. This will help the other ingredients stick to the skewers when serving them.
- Lay the skewers on a serving plate. Sprinkle with crushed peanuts, sliced Thai chilis, chopped cilantro, and red onion slices.
- Serve with a side of more peanut sauce for dipping, and some lime wedges for sprinkling as you eat!
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Time to Marinate: 4 hours
- Cook Time: 25 minutes
- Category: Main
- Method: Grill/Oven
- Cuisine: Thai