Being the busy mom that I am and as much as I enjoy cooking, sometimes all I feel like doing is throwing a bunch of ingredients in a slow cooker to see what happens.
That might be a little bit of a risky thing to do depending on the ingredients used but sometimes I’m willing to take that chance. LOL
We should all be allowed to have lazy days right?
I can’t tell you how thankful I am for slow cookers and crock pots – they’ve been such a tremendous help and time saver here.
Last week I had some chicken I needed use up and I since just didn’t feel like doing anything elaborate, I came up with this super easy slow cooker chicken tortilla soup and it turned out amazing!
I’m a huge fan of Mexican-inspired recipes and flavours so the soup was super tasty. My family really loved it!
My son loved it… so much… specifically the black beans…😂
He called them his “little bean friends”. lol
I really enjoy hearing all the silly things that come out of that wild little brain of his. 🙂
For this recipe I used skinless bone in chicken breasts, but you can use any kind of chicken that you have on hand.
Just make sure that if you use chicken with bones in, you’re very careful in making sure they’re all removed before serving.
I removed the bones from my chicken breasts at the step where I shred the chicken, which made it easier.
Feel free to add other veggies and ingredients you enjoy to this recipe to make it your own!
If you add anything different to this recipe and it works out, I’d love to hear what you did so I can try it too! Don’t forget to let me know in the comment section below!
- 4 1/2 lbs chicken breasts
- 3 1/2 cups chunky salsa (use whatever heat level you are comfortable with)
- 3 1/2 cups chicken broth
- 1 tbsp + 1 tsp taco seasoning
- 1 1/2 cups frozen corn kernels
- 19 oz can black beans, drained and rinced
Optional for Serving:
- Strips of toasted tortillas or crushed tortilla chips
- Combine all ingredients, except chicken in a 6 quart slow cooker. Stir everything to combine.
- Add chicken breasts to the mixture in the slow cooker. Do not cut the chicken.
- Cook on high for 2 1/2 hours.
- Remove the chicken breasts from the slow cooker and place them into a mixing bowl, leaving the liquid and other ingredients in the pot.
- Using 2 forks, gently break apart the chicken breasts to shred. I like to have a combination of large chunks and small.
- Add the shredded chicken back to slow cooker and cook on LOW for 1 1/2 hours.
Optional for Serving:
- Sprinkle with crushed tortilla chips or toasted tortilla strips if desired.
If you'd like you can use chicken with the bone in for this recipe. If you decide to do this be careful in making sure all the bones are removed before serving. If I go this route, I remove the bones when I shred the chicken.
- Category: Soup
- Method: Slow Cooker
- Cuisine: Mexican