Lately I've been trying a few new dinner ideas and these sausage stuffed portobello mushrooms are one of them. Over the holidays I was planning on making some kind of stuffed mushroom appetizer but time slipped away on me so I didn't get around to it. Oops!
Since I missed out on making some as appetizers, I created these tasty stuffed mushrooms as part of a main course. I had to satisfy my craving so I just had to come up with something. 🙂
This is an experiment that turned out amazingly and I know you'll love it too!
These portobello mushrooms are stuffed with a deliciously seasoned ground sausage along with some red pepper and red onions. On top of these tasty things I sprinkled some mozzarella cheese and a bit of panko bread crumbs to give everything a nice little crunch. 🙂
Typically stuffed mushrooms are sort of an appetizer type of dish, but this one is meant to be eaten as a main course. These portobello mushrooms are just about a big as the palm of my hand so they're definitely more than just a little appetizer! 😀
I served these on top of some plain white basmati rice and with a salad – this made for an awesome meal and the family loved it!
When you place these stuffed mushrooms on top of rice and then slice into them, the juicy goodness that's on the inside soaks into the rice as you eat.
OMG – Delicious!!
These would be great served to guests as part of a special meal… or you can just devour these yourself. 🙂
I hope you enjoy this recipe as much as we do!
- 5 – 6 large portobello mushrooms
- 1 lb ground pork sausage
- 1 1/2 tsp fennel seeds
- 1/2 tsp ground sage
- 1 tbsp Italian seasoning
- 1 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- pinch red pepper flakes
- 1/2 tsp cracked black pepper
- 1 medium red onion, diced small
- 1 medium red pepper, diced small
- 1/2 cup shredded mozzarella
- 3 – 4 tbsps panko bread crumbs
- Preheat the oven to 375°F.
- In a large skillet on medium heat, brown the sausage meat. Make sure that you break up the meat as it cooks so that it's in small chunks (pea sized or a little larger is good).
- Drain any excess fat from the skillet and discard.
- To the skillet add the spices and seasonings and combine well with the sausage.
- Add the onions and red pepper to the skillet and cook for about 10 min or until softened. Stir every couple of minutes as they cook. Turn the heat to low.
- Take your portobello mushrooms and carefully remove any of the stems if there are any intact.
- If there are any stems, chop them up very finely and add to the skillet to cook with the rest of the stuffing. Cook for about 5 min.
- Place the mushroom caps onto a baking sheet lined with aluminum foil.
- Carefully spoon the sausage onto the openings of the mushroom caps. It's ok if you pile them up quite high since as they cook the stuffing will sink more into the mushrooms.
- Sprinkle the mozzarella cheese on top on the stuffed mushrooms.
- Sprinkle the panko bread crumbs on top of the cheese.
- Bake in the oven for 35 minutes. The tops should have a slight golden color to them.
- Serve as a side or as a main dish on top of fresh cooked rice.
- Prep Time: 20 mins
- Cook Time: 35 mins
- Category: Main
I'd love to hear from you so please feel free to leave a comment in the comment section below! 🙂