I'm so excited to share this recipe with you! Ever have to choose between having either pumpkin pie or carrot cake for dessert? This is what you need – a delicious Pumpkin Pie Coconut Carrot Cake!
I made this for my mother and sister when they came to visit during Thanksgiving a few weeks ago and it was a hit!
This is one awesome cake and it satisfies all sorts of cravings all in one delicious dessert! It's difficult to give a good enough description in order to do this cake justice. It's just like having pumpkin pie.. but its also a carrot cake – with coconut! And it's soo yummy!
I used a bundt pan to ensure that the cake was baked evenly as it's quite dense. I also created a cream cheese frosting to use on this which added more richness to the cake. It would also be delicious to top this with a bit of fresh whipped cream instead of frosting! I'd enjoy it either way!
I'd love to hear from you! Please feel free to comment below! 😀Print
For the cake:
- 2 cups flour
- 1/4 cup yellow cornmeal
- 2 cups sugar
- 3 tsp baking powder
- 3 tsps pumpkin spice
- 2 cups pure pumpkin
- 1/2 cup peanut oil
- 3 tsp vanilla
- 3 large eggs
- 7 oz shredded coconut
- 2 cups shredded carrot
- 1/2 cup walnut pieces
For the Frosting:
- 4 tbsp unsalted butter, room temperature
- 2 (8oz) packages of cream cheese, softened
- 3 tbsps lemon juice
- 3 cups icing sugar
- 1 1/2 cup shredded coconut
Start with the cake:
- Pre-heat the oven to 350°F.
- Combine the dry ingredients well.
- Combine oil, vanilla, eggs and pure pumpkin.
- Pour the wet ingredients into the dry and combine well.
- Fold in the coconut and the shredded carrots.
- Grease a 9″ bundt pan and dust with flour.
- Pour the batter into the pan and tap it on the counter to get rid of any air bubbles,
- Place in the oven to bake for about 1 hour 45 minutes.
- It's finished baking once a toothpick comes out almost clean. There can be a little moisture on the toothpick but it shouldn't be a lot.
- Cool the cake in the pan on a cooling rack. Once it reaches room temperature cover the pan and set in the fridge to chill over night.
- Once cake is chilled frost using frosting in this recipe or you can use whipped cream.
- Top with walnut pieces if desired.
- Using a hand mixer or stand mixer cream together butter, cream cheese and icing sugar.
- Slowly add lemon juice and continue mixing.
- Fold in the coconut.