As you probably already know, I really enjoy my desserts!
A growing trend these days seems to involve making cupcakes and desserts that are inspired by cocktails or other drinks. I decided to jump on the bandwagon and do a little experimentation myself to see what I could come up with.
Piña coladas are one of my favourite cocktails!
Since becoming a mom I've traded most of my cocktails and drinks for baked goods! lol I still get a good craving for a Piña coladas so these cupcakes are the next best thing!
This recipe for piña colada cupcakes is kid friendly, alcohol free PLUS absolutely delicious!
These piña colada cupcakes make for an excellent tropical dessert inspired by your favorite cocktail!
The base for the cupcakes are similar to vanilla sponge cake and are fluffy and sweet with a hint of pineapple. These babies are so good they almost melt in your mouth!
The frosting is made from a combination of cream cheese, confectioners’ sugar and my secret ingredient…
The coconut cream in the frosting gives this cupcake wonderfully authentic coconut flavour and it tastes absolutely spectacular with the sweetness of the pineapple.
While I didn’t use actual rum in this recipe I did use artificial rum extract along with some vanilla. The combination of these two for flavours used in the batter does a great job in tying the whole thing together to make it like my favorite cocktail! 🙂
Please find the recipe below! Hope you enjoy them! 🙂
- 1 stick (1/2 cup) butter, unsalted, room temperature
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 eggs
- 2 tsps vanilla
- 1/2 tsp rum extract (artificial)
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1/4 cup crushed pineapple
- 1/2 cup coconut cream (I used a regular can of coconut milk and used the cream that had separated from the rest of the liquid)
- 8 oz cream cheese, room temperature
- 3 cups powdered sugar
- 1/4 tsp rum extract (artificial)
- 1 1/2 cups shredded coconut (you can use more or less if you like)
- Small chopped pineapple pieces (for topping)
- Additional shredded coconut (for sprinkling)
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- Grease a 12 cup muffin pan and insert paper liners.
- Using an electric mixer, cream together the butter and sugar.
- Combine the dry batter ingredients in a separate bowl and use a whisk to combine thoroughly.
- Combine the dry ingredients with the butter and sugar mixture.
- Add the vanilla, rum extract and the milk and combine.
- Using the electric mixer, beat in the eggs into the batter 1 at a time until well combined.
- Place into the oven to bake for 18-20 minutes.
- Once finished baking, remove from the muffin pan and set on cooling rack.
- Allow to cool completely before frosting.
To make the frosting:
- Using an electric mixer, combine the cream cheese and powdered sugar.
- Mix in the rum extract and the coconut cream into the frosting.
- Gently mix in the shredded coconut.
- Put frosting in a piping bag with a large opening (to allow the shredded coconut to fit through) and pipe onto cooled cupcakes.
- Top with pineapple pieces and sprinkle with additional coconut.
You may want to place the frosting in the fridge for about 10 minutes before piping onto the cupcakes.
I'd love to hear from you so please feel free to leave a comment in the comment section below! 🙂