- 4 cups cooked and chilled rice – long-grain is best (I used basmati for this recipe)
- 3 tbsps butter (you can use canola out instead if you prefer)
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- OR 3 green onions, chopped, white and green parts separated (you’re using the white and green parts at different times in the recipe)
- 2 carrots, peeled and diced
- 1/2 cup frozen peas
- 1/2 cup soy sauce, reduced salt
- 1–2 tsps oyster sauce (optional but highly recommended)
- 1/2 – 1 tsps sesame oil
- Cook the protein – Begin by cooking your protein, such as scrambled egg (or chicken, shrimp, etc.) in your pan with 1 tbsp of the butter on medium heat, then set aside. If you’re using leftover chicken, pork, or other meat, make sure you have it set aside on hand until you need it again.
- Cook the garlic and onions – In the pan, along with 1 tbsp of the butter, cook the onions (or white parts of the green onions if using them) until softened, then add the garlic and cook for a few more minutes until fragrant.
- Cook the vegetables – To the pan, add the remaining butter, the veggies and cook until softened. I used carrots and peas for this recipe, but you can use other veggies you have on hand or enjoy.
- Add the sauce – To the pan, along with the veggies, garlic and onions, add the soy sauce and the oyster sauce (if you’re using it). Stir fry for a couple of minutes.
- Add the rice and protein – Next, add the rice and protein/meat, and stir fry so that everything is coated in the sauce and well combined. When stir-frying, allow the rice to sit still in the pan for a little bit between stirs so everything fries up nicely. Turn off the heat, then add the sesame oil to the pan and combine. Garnish with green parts of the onions (if using them). Serve!
You can use this recipe is a framework and change things around to suit your tastes! Try different vegetables, meats, proteins, etc. More sauce, more sesame oil or something else that inspires you! If you make some interesting additions and they work out well for you, I’d love to hear it! leave a comment at the bottom of the page or snap a pic and tag me on Instagram (@dishesanddustbunnies).
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Cook Time: 15 minutes
- Category: Side
- Method: Stir Fry
- Cuisine: Chinese