Homemade guacamole makes for an awesome party food to go with crunchy tortilla chips!
Of the versions of guac that I've tried, I've found that I prefer a chunky version with lots of large pieces of avocados with hefty chunks of tomatoes. Once I started making my guacamole like this I've never looked back!
I realize that there are a lot of smooth guacamole lovers out there, but I much prefer the texture of a little chunkiness. I just find that the texture of a chunky guacamole is much more satisfying.
In addition to the traditional ingredients, I like to add a little cumin and coriander powder. This just gives it a little boost and makes the yummyness factor shoot to the moon!
Guacamole is such a simple and delicious dip! It's super healthy, fresh and awesomely tasty!
1. When I have plans for a get together, I like to get all my ingredients ready ahead of time and into the mixing bowl – except for the avocados and lime juice. Once guests arrive, I combine the avocados and lime with the rest of the ingredients in the mixing bowl.
I find that this helps make sure that the dip is super fresh and doesn't turn brown too quickly.
2. In the rare event that you have any left-over guacamole and you need to store it for later:
Put the left-over guacamole in an air tight container. Before sealing the lid, press some plastic wrap directly on top of the guacamole's surface. Every exposed surface of the guacamole should be covered and touching the plastic wrap. This will help prevent the guacamole from browning as quickly so you can use the rest the following day.
- 3/4 cup red onion, thinly sliced and chopped
- 2 1/2 cups tomatoes, seeded and chopped into large chunks
- 1/2 cup fresh cilantro, roughly chopped
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1/4 tsp ground coriander
- 1/4 tsp ground cumin
- 3 large avocados, chopped into BIG chunks.
- Juice of 1 lime
- First, in a large bowl combine everything except for the avocados and lime.
- Next drop the avocados on top of everything in the mixing bowl and sprinkle them with the lime juice.
- Using a large spoon, GENTLY push the avocado chunks around so they start to cover the over ingredients in the bowl.
- Use your best judgement on when to stop combining the avocados. If you stir too much, you won't have chunks anymore!
- Serve with tortilla chips or with your favourite Mexican food.
- Category: Appetizer
- Cuisine: Mexican