- 2 1/2 cups all purpose flour
- 1 cup cocoa
- 1 1/4 tsp baking soda
- 1 1/4 cups butter (room temperature) – if you use unsalted butter, add 1/4 tsp of salt to the dry ingredients when you mix
- 2 1/4 cups sugar
- 3 eggs
- 2 1/2 tsp vanilla
- 1/4 cup sugar – on the side
- Pre-heat the oven to 350°F.
- Using an electric mixer, cream together the butter and sugar. Add the vanilla and combine.
- In a separate bowl combine the flour, baking soda and cocoa. If you used unsalted butter add 1/4 tsp salt to this. Use a whisk to combine and set aside.
- Into the creamed butter/sugar mixture, beat in the eggs.
- Pour the wet ingredients into the dry and combine using a mixing spoon.
- Form the dough into balls roughly the size of golf balls. Roll and coat them in the reserved 1/4 sugar.
- Place 6 balls evenly spaced onto a parchment paper lined cookie sheet and bake for about 12 minutes.Once the first 6 are done, then the next can go into the oven.
- It’s important to avoid crowding the cookie sheet so that the cookies don’t all become 1 giant cookie. It’s a good idea to have 2 cookie sheets on hand so you can get one ready while the other ones bake.
- Allow the cookies to cool for a couple minutes on the cookie sheet before moving them to a cooling rack.